Free flow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why keep the tank warm? I thought all gear should stay in cold water until the moment you put the 2nd stage in your mouth?

Originally posted by bio guy

Add these on to GM's list:

1. If you are going to be in "ice-up" conditions, make sure you have added the proper environmental/anti-freeze kit to you first stage. Also, if your second stage is plastic, it may contain metal inserts to help keep ice buildup to a minimum.

2. Keep the tank warm before the dive.

3. Spastic breathing can cause problems (fast breaths etc)

Anyone like to add more?
Just my 0.02

Deviltron,

I have always followed that protocol for the simple reason that the air pressure drop from the cylinder cools the air, which in turn cools the surrounding water. If that cooling effect drops the water to the freezing point, you get ice build-up. Yes the surrounding water will cool the cylinder quite quickly, but by starting out with warmer air, you are helping the situation (Buying time).

You want to keep the regulator in you mouth while you are underwater. Basically you want to keep your second stage as dry as possible. I know it sounds like a contradiction due to the humidity in your breath, but it does help to keep things as dry as possible.

The process of putting a frozen second stage in the water with the air turned off is to melt the ice that has built up and caused the free-flow. The temp of the water is usually high enough to melt the accumulated ice.

But that is just my 2 cents.

the ONLY times I have had problems were in FRESH water
(wing inflator freeze up .. OPEN .. primary regulator
FAILURE at a depth of 12 feet or so, primary reg free flows .. first and second ... etc) during ICE dives.

I've dove in seawater under conditions that were not very
pleasant: 20 degrees air with a wind, ice forming on gear,
the deck and in my mask and the water temp was mid 30s
and HAVE HAD NO FREE FLOW OR FREEZE UP (and no enviro-seal). This is likely because sea water needs to be colder than fresh, and static, for some time before it will freeze or it needs to be so brutally cold very few of us have a reason to be in it under those conditions.

If your diving is FRESH water or dirty water I'd be more concerned about problems than if it is (clean) sea water.

In any case dive safe and realize the sh** can hit the fan at any time so be prepared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom