Free Nitrox or low cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got Nitrox certified for my upcoming 3 week trip. Been using the same shop that picks up at Residencias Reef for the past 8 years and have been mostly happy with them but now since I have my own equipment this is no longer a consideration. They charge $12 a tank for Nitrox and when diving at least 15 - 2 tank days it adds up quickly.

Just looking for some other options beside researching all the Cozumel dive shops

ProDive at the Occidental or Allegro includes Nitrox...$34/Dive depending on the number of dives...

I think Dressel also has free nitrox. I believe they're at Iberostar.

I'm not sure Dressel or ProDive pick up from other piers like Aldora, Blue XTSea and others do so you might have to switch to a different resort unless you can find a smaller op that offers free nitrox.

Just got Nitrox certified for my upcoming 3 week trip. Been using the same shop that picks up at Residencias Reef for the past 8 years and have been mostly happy with them but now since I have my own equipment this is no longer a consideration. They charge $12 a tank for Nitrox and when diving at least 15 - 2 tank days it adds up quickly.

Just looking for some other options beside researching all the Cozumel dive shops

Nitrox is expensive on the island aside from the fill cost, operators have other associated costs. The only shops that provide "free" nitrox are the high volume on-site resort operations in the south. Because fill stations won't deliver tanks to them, they have their own fill stations on site. Otherwise, the cost of nitrox is pretty standard among most operations - ranging from $11 - $12 a fill

Nitrox is expensive on the island. Aside from the fill cost, operators have other associated costs. The only shops that provide "free" nitrox are the high volume on-site resort operations in the south. Because fill stations won't deliver tanks to them, they have their own fill stations on site. Otherwise, the cost of nitrox is pretty standard among most operations - ranging from $11 - $12 a fill
I'm curious, if you know and can share, why it's so expensive? As I understand it (and I'm not an expert) Nitrox stick technology eliminates a lot of the machinations (and at least some of the risk) of partial pressure fills. Certainly it still requires more attention, and when Meridiano can't even provide full pressure air tanks during times of high demand, I suppose there can be some unacceptable overhead, so maybe they price to discourage Nitrox?

Operators need to have an analyzer on the boat if there's a possibility of even one EAN diver, and they need to provide some additional oversight, but these wouldn't seem like these would be significant costs?

If Nitrox were a $5 USD/tank up-charge, I'd probably dive Nitrox all the time. I think a lot of others would too, but instead we see threads on, "how should I plan my EAN for a week of diving in Cozumel" threads.

I don't even bother with it down there. Not only is it expensive, but like all other tanks coming from Meridiano, it's also a short fill. I just deal with a deco stop when needed.

I don't even bother with it down there. Not only is it expensive, but like all other tanks coming from Meridiano, it's also a short fill. I just deal with a deco stop when needed.
To paraphrase an aviation quote, "There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are no old bold divers."

Advanced (and hopefully, advancing!) years and being a *recreational* diver, I try to avoid deco stops.

what are your dive objectives (plans), and how much of a benefit or penalty do you see in air vs. Eanx?

You have 8 years of diving there on air, so you should have some dive plans and history to evaluate.

I Dive Nitrox and I’ll show 90 minutes to deco where my wife, diving 02 will close in on minutes....I take free Nitrox any day...and I’ll even pay extra if I must.

I Dive Nitrox and I’ll show 90 minutes to deco where my wife, diving 02 will close in on minutes....I take free Nitrox any day...and I’ll even pay extra if I must.

For the record, our cost for nitrox from Meridiano was $10 in a hp 120 tank in 2012. Then I invested $250,000 in Compressors and a membrane nitrox maker in a new facility. We of course make a little money on the nitrox at $10 but its going to be many more years before I get a return on the investment—but we do have reliable fills and NO chance of CO.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom