Free online marine biology class????????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Staredge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Why isn't (or is there & I just haven't found it yet) there an online marine biology class................for free?????? I mean, I'm not asking for a master's level class....simply an entry level class, self paced, and free :eyebrow: . I don't want the credits. I don't need the credits. I'd just like the guidance of an organized learning plan. :1book:

Am I a man ahead of my time, or are all of you :rofl2: at me????

Staredge:
Why isn't (or is there & I just haven't found it yet) there an online marine biology class................for free?????? I mean, I'm not asking for a master's level class....simply an entry level class, self paced, and free :eyebrow: . I don't want the credits. I don't need the credits. I'd just like the guidance of an organized learning plan. :1book:

I'm not sure what the purpose of offering a *FREE* marine biology class would be for the people offering such a thing. My cuz is a Marine biologist, and hardly making a ton of money given her level of education (extreme) and expertise (world class). She works for Habor Branch which is a private institue, and part of her gig is that she must earn a percentage of her salary by teaching post graduate. She is one busy lady!

I'd suggest that if you want to support the type of work that Marine Biologists do, then take a class. Marine Biologists are hardly an overpaid group, and don't even bother attempting the field if you do not have a PHD, or are in the process of attaining one with SERIOUSLY good grades from recognized institutes. If you are not interested in a formal class, then I'd suggest finding a few good books, and doing some self study. That may not be FREE, but likely as good as you will get without a more formal environment.

Harbor Branch offers some classes that are I believe do not require enrollment in a degree program. Of course that is NOT helpful unless you live near Ft. Pierce, FL, but I'd have to think other marine science institutes offer similar options, as well as most colleges. You can read about her last exploration, and a LOT of other very interesting explorations at the link below.

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/04deepscope/welcome.html

Ron

What you are describing is calling AUDITING. That's where you merely attend a class for enrichment purposes, but are on the rosters for no grade.

You still have to pay to audit a course. Higher education isn't a public service.

Staredge:

I have recently read a book that deals with the reef, something I'm most interested in. I think the book could be easily used as a textbook. it is called ; REEF (a safari through the coral world) by Jeremy Stafford- Deitsch. It includes; the Natural History of the coral reef, a Journey through the coral world, and it has a divers guide to coral reef fish. Also you could purchase I.D. books such as one that I have called "Indo-Pacific Coral Reef" field guide. A book like this is most useful and I have seen it and used it on live-aboards.
So the idea is, self taught - plenty of books, I'll never be able to read or learn it all. What fun. :wink:

I hope this helps you,
Caymaniac

I did not suggest that it was Free...

I'm not sure the courses that I remember in some of the literature that I saw was considered Auditing. I know that my cuz teaches classes, but they seem to be very advanced (post grad) courses and one has to be enrolled in a degree program and have passed the prerequisites to take them regardless of if you choose to audit them or not.

From what I remember, they offered basic courses that ran for a few months for such things as Aquaculture, etc. These appeared to be just continuing ED type courses for adults interested in various aspect of Marine Biology.

Harbor Branch is NOT a university, but rather a private institution that specializes in undersea's studies. They employee some of the worlds leading Marine Biologists and scientists, and have equipment that no university does. They are acredited and teach some advanced Marine Biology classes as well as work with post graduate students in persuit of their PHD in various aspects of Marine Biology. This is one of the ways that private companies foot the bill for expensive research and equipment. My Cuz is NOT a full time teacher, but as I indicated, she must teach as part of her job. I think she does enjoy it, but I'm not sure she is always thrilled to be doing so.

Ron

archman:
What you are describing is calling AUDITING. That's where you merely attend a class for enrichment purposes, but are on the rosters for no grade.

You still have to pay to audit a course. Higher education isn't a public service.

Ron, post #3 is directed to staredge's post, not yours. You are correct, HBOI is not a degree-granting institution, at least as far as I know.

In most public higher education, anyone can audit any class that doesn't have strict ceilings on student enrollments. In fact its a very common practice for working professionals who need continuing education credits but not necessarily actual college credits. Auditing graduate-division courses is very popular, as it's those classes which often are better specialized for these individuals' needs. I have no idea how private colleges work, but it's likely a similar process.

Regarding Harbor Branch specifically, it ranks below (but just below) Woods Hole, Scripps, Southhampton and a few other facilities in terms of equipment and expertise. Most are degree-granting institutions.

As a card carrying marine biologist, I've been "giving away" my stuff for years. It's great that people seem to enjoy my free local cable TV show, the newspaper columns that are free in the local paper and on my web site, etc. However, it hasn't paid any bills.

Why would I (or anyone else) want to take the time to put together a good introductory course on-line and offer it for free? Does my plumber replace my water heater for free? Does my grocery store give me food for free? Does the gas station give me gas for free?

Why would any one expect to receive a well organized on-line course for free? The closest thing to "free" would be to buy a good introductory book on marine biology (get it used through Bookfinder.com).

When I taught at UCSB, I allowed students who had a good reason (sincere interest in the subject matter) to audit my classes and there was no charge. Of course I wouldn't do it if it were a lab course. And the University did pay me!

Dr. Bill

Staredge,

First!... A little story...

As of December 20th... I began home schooling my oldest son. (6th Grade.) When I went to his school and asked to find out where his placement tests were, and where I needed to begin... I found out something I thought was absolutely absurd! "In the State of Oregon, there is NO curriculum for 5th, 6th, & 7th grade students in the public school system!"

I was appalled to say the least! The principal said that for these three grades, the "curriculum" is completely up to the teacher, and all that is required is that the student was ready for "8th" grade. (Absolutely "Freaking" unreal! if you ask me!!!) I was HOT!, to say the least.

I live way out in the mountains, and the "County" dictated where my son goes to school. The school in which my son was slated to attend was in the "drug infested" part of town. (30 miles away.) So!... While my son was attending school, I had a concern as to, "Why my son wasn't receiving any homework?" The Principal told me that due to the unfortunate environment that many of the students were exposed to... he felt that many of the students that attend the school were still on "Survival Mode." (those were his words.)

The Principal went on to say that the students would receive plenty of homework when they had reached 8th grade. (So... in the mean time... my son was basically being held back to the slowest kid in the class room!) Up until 8th grade... the Principal wanted his teachers to provide a "Safe, and Fun" environment for the kids. With the understanding that they students must be able to enter into 8th grade when the time came. (This isn't how "I" was raised!)

So, I pulled my son from school and began my search for education. Then it dawned on me!... "If there is NO set curriculum for 5th, 6th, & 7th graders... then that means the world has now become my preverbal oyster for education! I can teach my son in the manner that I see fit, and the subjects that are most suitable for this day and age! (Instead of teaching him about "King Henry," [and all of his wives...] I can teach him about the "Tsunami in Shri-Lanka!")

Presently, we are bringing my son back up to speed on his Math and English studies. But!... I am also creating my own curriculum in Marine Biology! (He will begin these courses in about two months from now.) As far as Marine Biology is concerned, (or any other form of Biology...) there are many courses out there! And!... the vast majority of them are "Free!" All it takes is a willingness to "Dig" and the discipline to "learn!"

Some of the courses are "on-line", while the vast majority of the courses are "College Preparatory" and involve volunteer work for local government agencies like "Fish Hatcheries". (I have actually taken part in several of these programs in Oregon and Washington, and volunteered a lot of my diving to the "National Marine Fisheries" for gathering algae.)

So... as far as learning goes... its completely up to YOU! If all you want to do is sit at the computer, drink coffee, and learn a little about the marine environment... I give you this...

Here are three websites that absolutely scream for attention, from the would-be student! The first is http://www.noaa.gov/ This page is has a wealth of information that only a fool would overlook.

The second is NOAA's http://www.nurp.noaa.gov/ (Or "NURP" for short.) More incredible information for those who "want" to learn.

The third is NOAA's http://www.education.noaa.gov/ In it... you will find "Discovery Kits" that many Teachers use in their curriculums! (I think... this is ultimately what you were looking for!)

(Click on "NOAA's Ocean Discovery Center" (Down at the bottom where it says "here".) Then click on "Discovery Kits".)

From this point on... I feel that if I were to give you more... I would actually be doing you a disservice.

Over the past month... I have immersed myself in research to find some semblance of a curriculum in the field of Marine Biology. What I have discovered is this... The information is out there, and "I" can make my own curriculum! (I can make my curriculum as hard or as easy an I want!)

Financially strapped agencies that work in a marine related environment, are screaming for individuals who are willing to donate time, in the field of research. (If your research is thorough, many of these same entities will even supply your "air" if diving is required.) Some of this can be done from the computer... while much of it requires pushing yourself away form the computer, opening your mouth and asking questions, either by phone, or in person.

Its there!... and its also what you make of it!

Good Luck!

Donnie
(You didn't think I would actually give you "Homework" did ya!?) :eyebrow:

Donnie:
As of December 20th... I began home schooling my oldest son. (6th Grade.) When I went to his school and asked to find out where his placement tests were, and where I needed to begin... I found out something I thought was absolutely absurd! "In the State of Oregon, there is NO curriculum for 5th, 6th, & 7th grade students in the public school system!"

I was appalled to say the least! The principal said that for these three grades, the "curriculum" is completely up to the teacher, and all that is required is that the student was ready for "8th" grade. (Absolutely "Freaking" unreal! if you ask me!!!) I was HOT!, to say the least.
I'm going to spread this around. That's the most ridiculous thing I've EVER heard in United States public education. Absolutely stunning. I wonder if any other states have similar "lack of standards" for entire grades.

Oregon is completely out of it's mind.

archman,

You are correct! It is absolutely "Ridiculous!" So... I'll give you a little more insight...

I asked the Principal, "How do you know if a child is ready for the 8th grade or not." He said, Each year the State of Oregon gives quarterly "Benchmark Test". A Benchmark test only verifies what a child knows, and is apparently a part of the "No Child Left Behind" BS. (The "BS" thing is from me!... Not the school system!) In the mean time, it is the teacher's responsibility to recognize the students weak areas, and focus on them.

**It is to note that the State of Oregon's "Bench Mark" test IS NOT Nationally recognized... rather it is an improvized test which has been developed by the State of Oregon, in an attempt to "Better Qualify" and Identify "Students at Risk." (Whatever that means!)

One of the problems with the "No Child Left Behind" is that the school doesn't want some kids accelerating too fast, while some children are left behind. (Apparently, this would make some kids feel bad, and lose self esteem, if the other kids in class were progressing faster than they were.) So... again... my child was held back to the slowest child in the class.

I had my son in a private school during 1st, & 2nd grade. When he entered 3rd grade, he entered the public school system and was tested at a 4th grade math level. This year, my son took his bench march test and was tested at a 4th grade math level. (He is now in 6th grade!) Only a few kids in his class actually tested at a 5th grade math level. (In fact... No kids in my son's 6th grade class actually tested at a 6th grade math level.)

So... instead of hitting the books... my son's class received "Palm Pilots" for their math (and English,) courses. The teacher made up the daily math quizzes, which she based on both 4th and 5th grade math problems. (They can do this because in the State of Oregon there is NO standardized curriculum for 5th, 6th, &7th grade students, attending the Public School system. It is completely up to the teacher.)

The teacher based her program on a "Pass / No-Pass" curriculum. If the kids did not pass the daily quiz, they were dropped back to the next lowest math quiz. Once that quiz was passed, they could proceed back to the quiz they originally failed. (Of course... if they failed... they were dropped back again!)

The students were not given a score, nor were they given a chance to work on the problems they missed. They simply "Passed or Failed." (The school felt that putting an emphasis on a "score" held no educational value, and could potentially make a child lose self esteem!)

The school feels that the "Palm Pilot" program not only saves a lot of money in learning materials, (paper?) but it makes the lessons more interesting to the children.

When I asked for a math book to be brought home, I was told that only the teacher had a math book, but she needed it for developing her "Palm Pilot" math program. I was also told that "Thousands of dollars" were saved by buying the "Palm Pilots" as opposed to purchasing new text books,(each year,) that would eventually get ripped up and "Destroyed by the Students."

At the beginning of this year, the school received a State Grant, in which they built a "Green House" and placed it on the school's property. The school has no "Horticulture" program, nor any class that even participates with the new Green House. BUT!!!... the school couldn't afford text books! So... Back in November, several irate parents (myself included) demanded that if the school could spend money on a worthless Green House... they better start "Sh***ing some text books!"

Within a month... the school had text books, and we, as parents, were informed that the books would be passed out to the students. In fact... the books were issued... but the Palm Pilot continued, and the books were never opened by the students.

I also attempted to have my son attend another school, who's reputation was slightly better than the school he was presently attending. The Principal of the second school agreed to accept my son, BUT! the Principal of the school my son was attending said "NO"... and the State of Oregon Backed him! (The more students a public school loses... the less money that same school receives for their annual budget.) Presently... the same Principal of the school that my son attended, is now the principal for (2) two schools... due to budget cuts. (I can literally go "On and On!")

So... I pulled my son from the school he was attending, and we found an alternate source of education. The place is called "Falcon Heights Academy" and it is an old Public school that had been shut down many years ago. "FCA" was then taken over by a group of concerned parents and were able to receive State Funding as a "Public" Home Schooling program. They are still funded by the County school district... but there is a slight twist. THEY HAVE TEXT BOOKS!!!!

The deal is that I am home schooling my son, with the exception that he has to attend "FHA" 5 hours a week. (Which is more like a study session.) In this manner, the State of Oregon knows that my son is still learning. (And "FHA" still receives State Funding.)

The ladies who run "FHA" are all "Old School" teachers and are appalled at the present condition of the Oregon Public School System. They also admitted that in Oregon, there is "NO STANDARDIZED CURRICULUM" for students attending Public Schools for the 5th, 6th, &7th grade. BUT!... They also said that because of this... many parents are taking this opportunity and excelling their kids well beyond the State Benchmark scores.

(**There are approximately 600 students attending "FCA". The students parents are almost entirely made up of individuals who cannot afford a private school, and aren't willing to allow their kids to fall victim to "Today's Public School")

So... Since December... I have been working steadily with my son in Math, while my Wife works with his English. Last Thursday, My son took his Bench Mark test, and tested at a 4th month, of 6th grade math level... and at a 3rd month, of 7th grade English level! He is a changed kid I tell ya! :dazzler1:

One of the projects we will be doing this Spring in Biology, is using scuba (He is "Junior Open Water" certified,) and identifying many of the insect "hatches" here in our local rivers and streams. We will then begin to work on more complex organisms, and have an open invitation at a local Fish Hatchery, to work with their fish as volunteers, identifying different parasites and disorders. He will also be doing a study on "Whirling Disease." (Pretty cool hu?!)

If ya cant tell... once you get me going... I can get pretty jazzed about something! I feel great because I feel as though I have taken control of the situation, and turned it into a "Win, Win" situation!

Take care!

Donnie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom