FREE Spearfishing Seminar Tomorrow Night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetDawg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Just a reminder for those of you who have expressed an interest in spearfishing.

Tomorrow, Thursday June 1st I will be holding a FREE Seminar on how to get started spearfishing at Divers Direct in Fort Lauderdale on I-95 and Griffin Road from 6PM-7PM.

If you are interested in getting into spearfishing or you need some help with your basic spearfishing skills, I highly recommend that you attend and find out what this exciting sport is all about.

Topics to be discussed include:
-- Guns and Gear
-- Rules and Regs
-- Quick Fish ID

If you need directions or have any questions, let me know.

Wes Gruver
PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer
Emergency First Response Instructor
SDI Open Water Scuba Instructor
TDI Nitrox Instructor

I'm there.

Wetdawg,

Is a poke pole with the rubberband-thingie the same as a spear gun or does a spear gun have a canister of somesort (like a paintball gun) to propel the spear?

My husband got a pole with a rubberband thingie for Christmas and I don't know what it is...he hasn't used it yet. I just know it is for fishing. Sorry...wish I could come to your class. Obviously I need it...don't know the first thing about spearfishing.

ITs called a Hawaiian Sling not Poke pole with rubberband-thingie and yes it is a type of spear gun just with out the trigger and lock Mechanism

rvagrad77:
ITs called a Hawaiian Sling not Poke pole with rubberband-thingie and yes it is a type of spear gun just with out the trigger and lock Mechanism
I like poke pole with rubberband-thingie better

Bennedc,

Don't worry you are not alone. Having worked on dive boats I can't tell you the number of folks that show up with a brand new toy and don't know anything about it other than which end to point at the fish.

What you are describing sounds like a pole spear. I will be going over how to use those as well as slings and all types of spear guns.

Tonight is just a short educational seminar. Next week we will be starting a full on Underwater Hunter and Collector course that will include not only a whole lot more detailed information, but also a day of underwater target practice with each of the various spearing devices. One day in the water practicing can equal an entire season of shooting offshore.

The bulk of the U/W course is spent not only familarizing you with the gear but also learning the various types of fish and the local rules and regulations.

We will also be planning a trip offshore to get dinner as well.

Well that was a waste of gas, the cashier told me yes there was a seminar but that I had to be preregistered. She gave me a schedule and told me there was another one next week for $20

That was a very good introduction seminar Wes.. thanks for holding it. I might not get a chance to do the course on the 10th as my wife and I are saving our pennies to get a house, but I will definitely contact you for a course in the near future. My email is salsaguy62@yahoo.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom