Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have to get pics up later, but for a wedge, I'm using an old, plastic weight belt buckle with the clamp-lever removed and a hole drilled for the mounting bolt toward the thinner end. It sits between the plate and the wing on mine. I'm using SS weld-nuts (basically t-nuts without the spikes) with the carriage bolts and everything is held tight and sits down pretty close to flush with the wing grommet.

"Free" and retrofitable to pretty much any FP with a lower mounting hole.
With advance apologies to @Eric Sedletzky and all of the FP minimalist purists ... I do really love the FP as art.

Background:
Eric put up a few spec-built, thin, stainless, bare (no rails and wedges weren't out yet) FP Contours and I thought that would be great for a travel rig so I snagged one.

I can't help myself, I'm a tweaker :eek: - wait, that might be a poor choice of words.
I see everything as raw material waiting to be bent towards my will .... hmmmm, not much better. :(
I like to customize stuff. :cool: (that seems safe enough).

Scope: I want my rig to be able to be configured for everything from a shallow, leisurely, daytime drift dive in a rashguard to a deep, night, black-water, (limited) wreck penetration dive in a drysuit while slinging a couple bottles. (OK maybe not night and wreck penetration at the same time).
Goals:
- Adjustable plate weighting that can be reconfigured toollessly, on the fly, on a dive boat for trim and total weight.
- Add a tank spacer/stabilizer at the bottom of the plate for clearance and to prevent wobble when using un-self-stabilizing wings.
- provide for attachment points for DSMBs, reels, lift bags, buttplates, etc.

Here we go in pictures (note the actual work was done a while back, I did a teardown today to clean some things up and mount a new wing so, pictures):

All stainless hardware. Washers are stainless over EPDM. Nuts are Nylock. Weld nuts w/ ground wrench flats. Not shown in this picture - Wing bolts (upper shortened) and Tinnerman type press retainer washers for same.
Ks_9SEekdOH0RsiiXtYOqHIlLdwPH950_-8UvGS6N0TovKKTQAv_jvxqoVLVTeq0kE1yPYMro5lyG47H7=w1857-h1369-no.jpg

I rigged up a jig to mount the FP on my CNC mill and cut some squares out for carriage bolts then filed the corners and wire-brushed it smooth. (Note to self: use a stainless wire wheel from the start, knucklehead :facepalm:) TaaaDaaa ...12 Carriage bolt holes around the periphery.
yWKVokficitXKupy5AVXH1Etwho4mIpwU5KbOjCwW3yl03rAOzsc8E2__aSO1iQEz6gACUO51Ot-iTDol=w1030-h1369-no.jpg

"Free" wedge/stabilizer using an old plastic weight belt buckle (note retaining washer and slightly relieved areas for grommet clearance):
EIgHxYAjltNMGyGiXqO79Ggo0h6lm2D_Mic2pet4q2S155Yk2__r2HJc_7LjvqG_YfODxd-Gc18HnnBPR=w1492-h1722-no.jpg

EH5DbIPUDFsVVh03bQwfiOLfnbAVk6d6720WDL_CTWpVHAlCfBz0Pqd9RxZgdOStPwo6AhdLyP-2n2h9E=w2268-h1722-no.jpg

Detail of captive, shortened upper carriage bolt and retaining washer. You can't see it here, but the carriage-bolt square-shoulder had to be thinned to get the bolt fully seated AND the retainer all of the way down since this is a thin/LW plate.
nbw6FMHe1C0yHeAGrO6SYvrNr4_RFqRuejMXvKykYuE8EQbHr8MmYmXNck4_yNi6zH-jSnI-oBNEvYO4x=w2413-h1722-no.jpg

For the weighting pouches, I used the inexpensive ones from DGX (thin with velcro closures), mounted on super-stiff webbing, and positioned with slightly oversized tri-glides.

Here I show the webbing with tri-glides mocked-up on the plate for easier viewing:
_Kc0-atx9pwO3PRTAjSpIu9wE28EBiTjN88i9LwwCVkD6BysFWTkean-uIuwsU43vsfoRTAbCv6VlrlkYr=w969-h1722-no.jpg

Pouches mounted on the webbing strips:
BdxbEhMM6oZtMLI2QuP0G95fDhhfTVDUB11fGl2c26ZVwwyc1OdQzTxr9FOUdFj4glygxvahEKlQaqb4AS=w969-h1722-no.jpg

Here is the plate with everything mounted up but the wing (that is a lift bag in a ouch, mounted with split-rings)
vSzxhzeg7wIZn8Ie0oaQOiKxu33LDKa5o5x-zI4FFGBndKThHVnE7pq5csH7hCtc4M3jc5rl-7Czd2Tho=w1265-h1722-no.jpg

Detail of upper wing bolt with wing retained by the inverted weld-nut - super low profile:
A0TzSBg_SJOWj-TYkIFxvXEm_kP7AcpeeojOgjcFLP6X5OdUZl5FTNgWRrf7aLszU466g2wwJIMG04J92s=w969-h1722-no.jpg

I use an H-harnness with QD shoulder straps. The waist belt is split and has a QD attachment to the plate so I can move it back and forth with my doubles plate. D-Ring and connection detail below (tails are dressed back through the inner slot of the plate - see above):
6pgjntkKaI9XhTa4jzQhglFKaT6_Xxbx4IB5hqU0XA9LsOzIIBcexJxhiVklvohFkeXLef8KfpreRX5dS=w1544-h1722-no.jpg

With advance apologies to @Eric Sedletzky and all of the FP minimalist purists ... I do really love the FP as art.

Background:
Eric put up a few spec-built, thin, stainless, bare (no rails and wedges weren't out yet) FP Contours and I thought that would be great for a travel rig so I snagged one.

I can't help myself, I'm a tweaker :eek: - wait, that might be a poor choice of words.
I see everything as raw material waiting to be bent towards my will .... hmmmm, not much better. :(
I like to customize stuff. :cool: (that seems safe enough).

Scope: I want my rig to be able to be configured for everything from a shallow, leisurely, daytime drift dive in a rashguard to a deep, night, black-water, (limited) wreck penetration dive in a drysuit while slinging a couple bottles. (OK maybe not night and wreck penetration at the same time).
Goals:
- Adjustable plate weighting that can be reconfigured toollessly, on the fly, on a dive boat for trim and total weight.
- Add a tank spacer/stabilizer at the bottom of the plate for clearance and to prevent wobble when using un-self-stabilizing wings.
- provide for attachment points for DSMBs, reels, lift bags, buttplates, etc.

Here we go in pictures (note the actual work was done a while back, I did a teardown today to clean some things up and mount a new wing so, pictures):

All stainless hardware. Washers are stainless over EPDM. Nuts are Nylock. Weld nuts w/ ground wrench flats. Not shown in this picture - Wing bolts (upper shortened) and Tinnerman type press retainer washers for same.
View attachment 593546

I rigged up a jig to mount the FP on my CNC mill and cut some squares out for carriage bolts then filed the corners and wire-brushed it smooth. (Note to self: use a stainless wire wheel from the start, knucklehead :facepalm:) TaaaDaaa ...12 Carriage bolt holes around the periphery.
View attachment 593547

"Free" wedge/stabilizer using an old plastic weight belt buckle (note retaining washer and slightly relieved areas for grommet clearance):
View attachment 593548
View attachment 593549

Detail of captive, shortened upper carriage bolt and retaining washer. You can't see it here, but the carriage-bolt square-shoulder had to be thinned to get the bolt fully seated AND the retainer all of the way down since this is a thin/LW plate.
View attachment 593550

For the weighting pouches, I used the inexpensive ones from DGX (thin with velcro closures), mounted on super-stiff webbing, and positioned with slightly oversized tri-glides.

Here I show the webbing with tri-glides mocked-up on the plate for easier viewing:
View attachment 593551

Pouches mounted on the webbing strips:
View attachment 593552

Here is the plate with everything mounted up but the wing (that is a lift bag in a ouch, mounted with split-rings)
View attachment 593553

Detail of upper wing bolt with wing retained by the inverted weld-nut - super low profile:
View attachment 593554

I use an H-harnness with QD shoulder straps. The waist belt is split and has a QD attachment to the plate so I can move it back and forth with my doubles plate. D-Ring and connection detail below (tails are dressed back through the inner slot of the plate - see above):
View attachment 593555
EXCELLENT!!!
This is what I love to see.
People leapfrogging off what I did and using their noggin to make something even better for themselves.

Sorry, amigo.
Got mine.
"Purdy little, purdy little 409..."
(that's the number of my Freedom Plate)

You go, Eric!

After waiting for 9 months + slow shipping 3months. Ive finally gotten my freedom plate! Right smack in the middle of a quarantine.

Boy no one was kidding when they said pictures dont do it justice!

Iv actually forgotten about it hahahah.

I forgot to order the bladder. VDH is out of stock

@Chanly83 what's the Multicam pouch you have at the bottom of your rig?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom