Freedom Plate poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad I just learned about this plate. It looks fantastic, I would be perfectly willing to part with $150 for one, and I have an OxyCheq Mach V wing just waiting for one (granted, one before they came with roll control, but I've cut slots in it to go with my UltraLite plate). Any chance this is still available, or will be again in the future?

edit: I guess I hit post the first time without actually finishing my post!

Last edited:
I think that you just have to keep your eyes open for one and have a good bit of luck. Eric produced a small batch of plates this summer and I was able to get one. The plates are very well built and work great with the Oxycheq Mach 5 wing. The plates are very low profile and even work well with the old doublehose regulators.

Good luck finding one.

Ryan

Just got back from a week of diving in Curacao with my Freedom Plate and a 30# Mach V Extreme wing (no roll control) and let me tell you, this is one impressive plate.

With the way the slots in the plate are designed, you can set the cambands low, so that you can keep the tank low enough where the reg does not touch the back of your head, but the plate is high enough that you can reach your valve if needed. With the Mach V Wing the reg sits right at the top of the wing and everything balances out perfectly.

The plate is super comfortable - just hugs your back and fits the curves perfectly.

I really hope that Eric makes some more, so more folks can enjoy this fine peice of equipment.

I have made one small modification - I positioned the wing on the plate (it only fits in one position) and then drilled a hole where the top grommet is located and attached the wing using a "sex bolt" - this just holds everything in alignment, making it easier to put the tank on.

I have made one small modification - I positioned the wing on the plate (it only fits in one position) and then drilled a hole where the top grommet is located and attached the wing using a "sex bolt" - this just holds everything in alignment, making it easier to put the tank on.

I did the same thing.

Pics please,

I had a rabbit named Desdemona.

N

Here's a few pics.

P1010363.jpg

The scratches are from using a file to clean up the rough edges. I thought about doing 2 holes in case I wanted to move the wing up, but drilling in SS is not fun.

The sex bolts are plastic used on Zeagle BC's, and I got them from Scubatoys.

P1010364.jpg

hello guys. i know this is a bit late. i'v been reading/searching the forum about this. sooo...were there any of these made? is it still available? been thinking of getting a plate and i'v narrowed it down to the Oxycheq Ultra Lite and this Freedom plate. thanx a bunch

I don't think Eric has made any more Freedom Plates since the small run he did last fall.

I have both the UltraLite and the Freedom Plate and both a excellent.

I use my UltraLite with an 18# Mach V wing for travel to tropical locations (3 mil or less wetsuit) when I can't store my gear at a dive shop/boat (such as when doing cruises). It does not feel as stable out of the water, but it is fine once you are wet.

The Freedom Plate I use with a 30# Mach V - and it is my favorite setup. It just fits and feels perfect - like it is part of your body. You will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands :wink:

Either setup is good - especially for travel to tropical locations

The Freedom Plate I use with a 30# Mach V - and it is my favorite setup. It just fits and feels perfect - like it is part of your body. You will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands :wink:

Either setup is good - especially for travel to tropical locations

ARGH!! u r such a tease!!!!!!! :wink: but anyway, yes, what u have right there is exactly what i'm trying to set up. one for travel and the other one for regular uses here. looks like i'll just have to settle for a regular SS backplate then, unless there will be another group buy or something for the Freedom plate this year. I hope so. that thing just looks so comfortable for a plate of steel.

ZKY...if u r reading this, i hope u make another run of ur little masterpiece this year. i sure am going to be waiting in line and there will probably be others as well.

The weight of the latest Freedom Plate is almost the same as an AL plate - just slightly over 2# - not even close to most SS plates. If you look at BSea's pictures you can see how it is cut away to remove almost all unneeded metal.

It really is designed to act like the old USD plastic back-pac. It works great with a Double Hose Reg because it tilts the tank toward your shoulders - loosen the shoulder straps a little, so the reg is between the shoulder blades. The slots for the cambands are long enough that there is great latitude for positioning the tank.

With SS prices down, maybe Eric will be able to make some more and sell them at a reasonable price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom