Freeware anti-virus protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anybody know of any good freeware anti-virus protection currently out there?
Thanks for any input,
Spencer

I have been using AntiVir for years, Avg is another good freeware program.

In a test from the first quarter this year, AntiVir was a top rated freeware anti virus program.

Free anti-virus software; Freebyte's Guide to

For my firewall, I use Comodo.
Thanks a ton Chris. Got her done with the Antivir suggestion.
Spencer

Thanks a ton Chris. Got her done with the Antivir suggestion.
Spencer

No problem. Being a former black hat, still visiting the dark side of the net on occasion; it is best to use a multi-level defense. I hate paying for some thing that is sub-standard when there are so many freeware products out there that provide good protection. I'm currently using Comodo for my firewall, Avira antivir for virus protection and Spybot search and destroy with tea timer. There are many good free products out there. YMMV.

Ubuntu.

But seriously, Antivir is good, and I like how little resources it uses, but I've been hearing lately that Avira is much better at catching things and gives up less false positives.

I agree with land locked, make sure to get a good antispyware & a firewall as well.

so whats in it for these companies to produce "free" software and keep virus definitions up to date?

There has to be a catch. LIke the install spyware for some metrics reporting or something.

If you like their products, you upgrade to the paid version. Or, you contribute to continued development of the open source community. Watch out M$oft, your time is coming! :D

Darn, just had a thought, it hurt!!! I've sent Dan $$$ over the past 10 years, nothing in apparent return on my investment, what's up with that!?:confused:

Last edited:
In addidtion to what land locked said, some of these guys make their money through corporate protection & they give out simpler versions of the software to home users.

Back
Top Bottom