freezing - or not - in Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bibina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, I am very new to this forum, I know the subject has been discussed at lenght before, nevertheless .. I'm asking again!

I'll dive the Galapagos on the Humboldt Explorer from 18th March; I am incredibly excited but also rather stressed out about what suit to take ...

My favourite suit to dive with is a Cressi Lontra 5mm (warm but at the same time leaves decent freedom of movement, important for me as I am a photographer) , excellent protection, double seals at wrists and legs, my concern is that it would be too cold even by adding a 3mm vest underneath ... I would pefer not to use the semi -dry suit, as it is far less confortable ... the third option is a 2 pieces 5+5 or a 7 mm suit (neither as good quality as the Cressi 5mm one). I am incredibly confused, what is the advise of those who have gone already or, even better, who leave there?

What water temperature should I expect? Significan thermoclines - where? how significant?? -

Thanks!!!

Of course the response to water temperature is an individual thing with some people comfortable in a 5mm in such waters, others cold in a 7mm and some needing a dry suit to stay warm. I dive waters similar to those in the Galapagos and would probably opt for the 5mm plus vest.

I'm jealous. I was supposed to go on a scientific research expedition to dive Cocos and the Galapagos several years ago. Then my son decided to get married the day I was to arrive in the Galapagos. He and his bride came first.

Do not be jealous, just book another trip, and make sure you don't have another wedding to attend!!!
:wink:

I would never dive in that setup you are talking about. It could be good for you to know that i do get cold pretty easy. When i was diving Galapagos in october there were places where i was cold even wearing a 7mm semi-dry, 5mm overshorty (and i even had a skin suit under). But that was on Isabella. Wolf and Darwin is a different story, but i still think that you should reconsider bringing something thicker. Especially since you will do a couple of dives per day, it will make you more prone to getting cold....

With that said there was this guy diving a 3mm suit and not feeling chilly at all. Now that is crazy!

Anyways, i am sure you will have a blast. I had, even though the viz wasn't the best. I was quite sad by the fact that the group before us had over 30(!!!!!!) whale shark sightings on a single dive in darwin, we only had about 15... =(

Last edited:
Your 5mm should be fine up at Wolf & Darwin in March. It is the warmest time of year both above water & U/W.

Up North the water should be 75 degrees, approaching 80 degree's F at Darwin.. This area is where 4 days of your diving will take place.

If I were you I would take your 5mm along w/ your thicker suit. Personally, I would take my 1mm, 3mm, 5mm and hooded vest at this time of year.

In the main group of islands, the water temp should be about 70 degrees F in March.

The Humbolt Explorer does not dive the colder western dive sites.

For years I avoided the Galapagos because of the cold water.

Then I discovered that the water temps. up at Wolf & Darvin are much warmer.

As far as thermoclines & currents, they are variable.

Depending on the time of the year & dive site, I have used everthing from a .5mm to a drysuit.

Please post a trip report.

March is fairly warm and as someone pointed out, much warmer at Darwin. Wolf can still be cooler, though. On the Humboldt, Cousins will most likely be the coldest place you dive. Once again, the Humboldt is the only itinerary with 4 days in the north, 2 full days at Darwin and 2 full days at Wolf. I would take the 5mm and vest to put underneath in case you find it to be chilly when you swim through the thermoclines. Average surface water temp in March is 76F. The air will be quite warm, too. I wouldn't go 5 + 5...the bouyancy alone would necessitate overweighting. Water has a higher salt % in Galapagos, too. Most do find the 7mm to be the most comfortable, so unless the quality is far inferior to your Cressi, that would be a good option though indeed, in March you might feel warm at Darwin. Thermoclines can be mid-60's in the north and east. Only out west (Punta Vicente Roca, for example) will the water be about 10 degrees cooler. You swim through the thermoclines pretty quickly, you won't be 'trapped' in one. You can see them before you enter...very clear, wavy water.

If I were you I would take your 5mm along w/ your thicker suit. Personally, I would take my 1mm, 3mm, 5mm and hooded vest at this time of year.

Please post a trip report.

Can't quite take 4 suits with me, so must make a choice ... at the moment it looks like I'll take the 5mm with 3mm vest and separate hood (can't stand hoods!) or perhaps a 5mm over shorty and consider the option of hiring a 7mm semi dry should I really get cold, especially given the fact that we will do at list three dives a day.

But still plenty of time to change my mind!!!

Yes, divers coming from Europe are always amazed at the amount of gear that we ( US divers ) travel with - pony tanks, extra regs, 1 lb wts, etc.

Just take your 5mm w/ 3mm vest & hood. You might try a beanie, they are more comfortable.

Have Fun!

I wouldn't go 5 + 5...the bouyancy alone would necessitate overweighting.

That was my concern with the 5+5, as well as with the semi dry ... I'll give some thoughts to the 7mm, but I think that, being the quality not as good as the 5mm one, at the end the benefit is not going to be significant!

---------- Post added February 21st, 2013 at 07:41 PM ----------

Right ... after half a day reading Galapagos related posts on this forum I must say that the suit has shifted to being the last of my concerns ... Currents are now top in the list!!!

Although I have only got 200 dives I do dive regularly and in different conditions, in the past year I have been diving Sipadan, Philippines, Maratua, Tanzania, Bali, Maldives .... Always nice warmish water, often with strong currents especially in the Maldives where negative entry were the rule, bubbles were 'horizontal' more often than not and descending quickly - sometimes against the current - to hold to a rock or hang with the reef hook and enjoy the show was what we were doing at almost every dive. Never had a problem with any of that, but ... are the Galapagos currents much worse than the strong Maldivian ones?

Back
Top Bottom