French exception

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. As some might or might know, in France, deco training is mandatory from level 2 (which is somehow equivalent to AOW + deep). A Master Diver or Dive Master who is not trained for deco would be limited to level 1 which is 20meters max with an instructor (not even a buddy). And people don’t want to dive with you because of the No Deco constraint. Deco is as natural as clearing a mask for experienced french divers. They even go to 60 m on air with a single cylinder to qualify for level 3, level 4 being dive guide level.
Is there a PADI or SSI or else training that would just teach deco dives down to 60m on air (preferably with twinset)?

Is there a PADI or SSI or else training that would just teach deco dives down to 60m on air (preferably with twinset)?

Are you saying that CMAS is allowing the use of a single tank (doubles are an option) for training when diving to 200 feet on air? Am I understanding you correctly?

I don't know of any agency that would support going down to 60m with air. Going down to 60m is considered technical diving not within the realm of recreational diving.

SSI has a specialty course "Decompression Diving Specialty" for the recreational diver with max depth of 40m. Learn to safely perform a decompression dive with SSI Decompression Diving certification today

Cmas 3* diver used to be limited by ppo2, not by depth or breathing gas, and it was limited to 1.6, not 1.4.
Most European national agencies still use those standards as rules, but also add the 40m limit, as did CMAS somtime around 2000-2005.

Are you saying that CMAS is allowing the use of a single tank (doubles are an option) for training when diving to 200 feet on air? Am I understanding you correctly?
CMAS, I don’t know. But FFESSM, definitely.

In my mind, there have always been two criteria for 'recreational' diving: depth (40 m) and NDL. If SSI pushes one of them (NDL), can it still be a 'recreational' course? And what is the difference with their Extended Range Deco course then?

I don't know exactly but this above referenced course can be done in single tank and for limited deco time, perhaps less than 10min of deco.

Again, I don't know exactly yet. I am in the process of doing an update with SSI and I should have access to this course's material when I am done with the update.

PSAI still teaches a “Nitrogen Narcosis Management” program that has 7 level ending at 240 feet on air. I believe they use to have a “Deep Air” course to 180 feet but I don’t see it on their web site anymore.

PSAI still teaches a “Nitrogen Narcosis Management” program that has 7 level ending at 240 feet on air. I believe they use to have a “Deep Air” course to 180 feet but I don’t see it on their web site anymore.
60 m will be sufficient 😂. It seems that the best wrecks are in the 40 -60 m range in the Mediterranee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom