Fresh water weights v.s. salt water weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Limoges Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am going salt water diving in less than 2 weeks (woo-hoo!) for the first time. In fresh water, I need about 24-26 lbs in weights. How much would I require in salt-water? I know I won't have as much buoyancy from my warm water 3 mill shorty suit compared to my full 7mm suit.
I am 6 feet tall, and weigh around 230lbs, and it's not all muscle! hehe! :) :D

Usually you should have to add 25% of your fresh water weight to be fine in salt water when you are using the same gear. This is what I do from a cold quarry to the St-Lawrence river (at Les Escoumins where it is salt water). But since you do not have the same wetsuit, you might try adding just 20% (5 pounds). Ideally you would just do a weight check at the beginning of your dive. Once you found the correct weight to be neutral at the surface add 4 to 6 pound depending on the tank you have.

If I couldn't do a weight check on the first dive I would prefer to be a little overweight (not too much though or you will suck your air at a rate you would be shy :eyebrow:) than underweight (no safety stop possible).

Usually you should have to add 25% of your fresh water weight to be fine in salt water when you are using the same gear. This is what I do from a cold quarry to the St-Lawrence river (at Les Escoumins where it is salt water). But since you do not have the same wetsuit, you might try adding just 20% (5 pounds). Ideally you would just do a weight check at the beginning of your dive. Once you found the correct weight to be neutral at the surface add 4 to 6 pound depending on the tank you have.

If I couldn't do a weight check on the first dive I would prefer to be a little overweight (not too much though or you will suck your air at a rate you would be shy :eyebrow:) than underweight (no safety stop possible).

Yea: better over than under weight. Our dive operator will be letting us do weight checks on our first dove, so I know we'll be fine. Just wanted to get an idea. I'm going to be playing around with my weights today in the St. Lawrence (diving at the Conestoga Wreck - Cardinal, ON) trying to find the ideal weight for me - still haven't mastered that as these will be my 17th & 18th dives...

I am going salt water diving in less than 2 weeks (woo-hoo!) for the first time. ..... my warm water 3 mill shorty suit

You are going to dive in "paradise", yes?

Take this as a grand opportunity to increase your dive count and to work on buoyancy control with your learned skills and the assistance of the DM. Most will help you if you ask.

I don't care if you think you're not all muscle :eyebrow: But if you presented yourself for warm water pretty fish diving with anywhere near 20 lbs of lead, it would get my attention.

Use this opportunity to feel how your human body, in conjunction with your lung capacity, will affect your buoyancy.... not the heavy layer of a full 7 mil suit messing things up. Basically? Diving "naked".

Speak with the local dive professionals, advise them of your concerns, do the preliminary check out dives, listen and follow the advice of your DM's. Keep accurate log book notes as to what weight works with which wetsuits and temperatures.

As you further understand and refine your buoyancy, you will get the total amount of weight "correct", but then you may have to make minor adjustments by moving the lead around your gear and body, redistributing it to refine your precise trim.

It is a learning process over a period of dives.

You are going to dive in "paradise", yes?

Take this as a grand opportunity to increase your dive count and to work on buoyancy control with your learned skills and the assistance of the DM. Most will help you if you ask.

I don't care if you think you're not all muscle :eyebrow: But if you presented yourself for warm water pretty fish diving with anywhere near 20 lbs of lead, it would get my attention.

Use this opportunity to feel how your human body, in conjunction with your lung capacity, will affect your buoyancy.... not the heavy layer of a full 7 mil suit messing things up. Basically? Diving "naked".

Speak with the local dive professionals, advise them of your concerns, do the preliminary check out dives, listen and follow the advice of your DM's. Keep accurate log book notes as to what weight works with which wetsuits and temperatures.

As you further understand and refine your buoyancy, you will get the total amount of weight "correct", but then you may have to make minor adjustments by moving the lead around your gear and body, redistributing it to refine your precise trim.

It is a learning process over a period of dives.

Thank you so much for your advice. I'll be talking with my DM about exactly that - Once I get my weight under control, my air consumption will fall. I also am "investing" in so new fins - Scubapro Seawing Nova: I like the reviews.

you will need 12 lbs of lead with an aluminum tank. Start with that and probably decrease lead,

You might be surprised like I was...in fresh water 7 ml farmer john I use 26 to 28 lbs.

Salt water 3 ml full jumpsuit I estimated 18 lbs. Reality was 12 lbs then back to fresh water with the same gear 10 lbs is enough.

You are heavier than I am but I think a lot depends on breathing techniques and trim...once I dump the air out of my BC I never add any until I'm back on the surface.

I am approx same size as you. 3mm wetsuit (not shorty), boots, Knighthawk bc, regs, 80 cuft aluminum cylinder in Antigua = 12 lbs

you will need 12 lbs of lead with an aluminum tank. Start with that and probably decrease lead,
12lbs- I think you are way off there. 12 won't get me down at all.

12lbs- I think you are way off there. 12 won't get me down at all.

3mm shorty will have very little buoyancy compared to a 7mm suit, a few lbs tops whereas the full suit could add 20lbs easy. For salt water you'll need 6lbs extra. So while 12lbs may be optimistic, it shouldn't be much more than that, maybe 15-16lbs tops?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom