Fresh Water - What is it ???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfdfirediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My son and I were diving this week, and happened upon one of these little guys while untangling some milfoil. Then realized they were everywhere!
Location was Upstate New York in a very cold, spring fed lake. The pics aren`t that good so I`ll describe it a bit. Approximately 1/16th inch in size, orange in color. Looks like a piece of aquarium gravel that swims. It appears to have 6 legs, but very hard to tell! Most were attached to plants, but some were on the algae on the bottom, and some free swimming. The most unusual thing to me is the color! Grey, brown, and green are normal colors for dives in our area! If anyone has any thoughts let me know!

Attachments

• 102_1519.jpg
    102_1519.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 102_1520.jpg
    102_1520.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 102_1521.jpg
    102_1521.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 39
If I didn't know better, and found it here in the south, I'd say it was a chigger that fell in the water next to the Nuclear power plant. That is what it looks like, but I have no idea.

They look kind of like water mites.

Yes they do.
water_mite.jpg
Those buggers look just like a chigger.

Do they cause the same kind of hellish itch and rash that chiggers do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom