Frightening night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mojokelt

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all. I'm new to the board but I thought I would share an incident of my own with everyone to illustrate some lessons I have learned.

I have been diving in Ireland since June of 2006. My open water training was not good... in fact it was almost criminal. For $600 my open water instructor had us make three swimming pool dives and two open water... (I won't say 'dives' because we just descended did some skills then surfaced.) For the PADI professionals that are viewing this we did the CESA (Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent) as a group of three students (two of us without guidance from the instructor) and we were also left floating in the open Atlantic for ten minutes by ourselves while the instructor exited the water and adjusted his equipment. Skills we did not perform at any point during the 'course' included free-flowing regulator, equipment de-kit or re-kit, any of the water 'stamina' skills, e.g. the distance swim or water tread. We dive in cold water where free-flowing regulators are common yet my instructor felt that I did not need this skill...

To cut a long story short, I complained to PADI (UK) who currently feel this individual is fit to teach despite numerous shocking practices being brought to their attention. In the meantime I was helped by a friend who was also a PADI instructor (he was not actively teaching at that time). I am now about to be a trainee rescue diver with an occasional thought of turning to the dark side... (GUE!) I am in no rush, however, and feel that I need to do a lot more dives before I extend my diving limits.

After spending most of the summer diving (currently 60+ logged dives in various conditions and depths, including dives in 38 degree water in a quarry!) we met up with a former student of the above dodgy instructor who had been doing a PADI dive master internship.

Now qualfied as a dive master we assumed that she was a reasonably competent diver. The plan was to go to a local wreck, situated in a sheltered sound, and do a night dive. The site was very well known to all of us, most of us have 20+ dives on it. An easy dive for beginners, a line actually leads out from shore to the stern of the wreck. We have several enjoyable night dives on this wreck;(See http://www.flickr.com/photos/seadonkeys/sets/72157594234019746/ http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=1294&section=1026&action=display&show=)

We kitted up and entered the water. As the DM (my buddy for this dive) and I waded into the water I made sure to stop her and do a thorough buddy check. She seemed quite confident and made light of it, as if it was not necessary.

I drew a small diagram of the wreck on my wrist slate and suggested that we follow our standard route for this dive; from the line we would fin across the stern to the starboard side, through a short swim through to see if the conger eel (who lives behind the bath) was home, then forward to the bow. We would follow the bow around and travel down the outside of the wreck on the port side until we came back to the line. Back up the line and a safety stop at 5m.

At this point I suggested she turn on her torch. "I haven't got one. I've never done a night dive." came the reply. Thinking more about the dive than anything I handed her my main torch and took out my back-up. I was uneasy, but I figured that she had been diving a lot longer than I and she was also more qualified. I figured she knew what she was doing. In fact I thought she was going to be wary of my beginner's techniques and resent being with a newbie.

We went into the water, descended to the line and made our way to the wreck.

Ok, so far I'm sure most of you have spotted most of the things that really should have stopped us going in the water. Unfortunately I cannot defend myself because I was just so eager to get in the water I disregarded most of the signs that had 'Disaster' written all over them. Now they seem so obvious...

As we followed the line to the boat she seemed to be having a lot of trouble with her buoyancy. Every few metres (yards) I would stop and signal "OK?" the reply was "OK!". On the stern of the wreck we paused for a few moments as the rest of the group had kicked up some silt. Again: "OK?", "OK!"

I signaled for us to stick close together as we started to fin across the stern. Suddenly my buddy swam off in a completely different direction. I chased after her and stopped her. I pointed in the right direction and motioned for her to come with me.

Just then my heart pounded - My backup light flickered... then it went out. As I thumped it to see if I could make it work I took my eyes off my buddy for a second or two. In that second she kicked strongly and finned away from the wreck. As I looked up she was gone...

I was alone in the sound with a 150" foot wreck somewhere out in the darkness and no light. None.

Not many people truly know what it is to feel utter darkness and utter loneliness.... I certainly hope few people experience the feelings I felt at that moment.

As I felt the panic begin to rise I remembered what I had heard lots of divers say: "If you have plenty of air, and you're breathing then you have time..." I decided that I would not panic, not yet.

I'm not sure what I did next was the correct thing to do but...

I descended very slowly and eventually touched the bottom, 21m (70"). I reached for my luminescent gauges. As I did so I noticed that as my hand moved through the water the plankton would glow - quite a show. I had plenty of air so I decided to wait where I was for the time being.

I waited for what seemed like both an eternity and a second. The plan was to wait for a while to see if there would be a search. If not, I would slowly ascend to the surface with as much control as possible. Having a plan pushed away any thoughts of panic - I almost enjoyed the strangeness of the experience. (Almost - I'm not that crazy!) I would occasionally wave my hand to ensure my eys were still working and I tried to keep myself upright by feeling my bubbles pass upwards past my face. Touching the bottom meant that gravity also helped me keep my vertical orientation.

In the distance I thought I saw a glow. No, my eyes must be playing tricks. Wait, there it is again! Almost as if I could not believe my eyes, I began to move forward towards the glow. The closer I got, the brighter. I kept moving slowly forward. As it approached directly in front of me it stopped. Cautiously - I still could not see the wreck and did not know where it was - I moved directly for the light. When I got within a few feet I realised that it was definitely a diver. I swam slowly up to meet the light and scared the heck out of my friend Lee as my ugly face appeared out of nowhere in front of him!

After a hurried conference hanging on to the wreck, we performed a quick search then headed straight for the line. After our safety stop we surfaced to find my buddy calmly smoking a cigarette having gotten changed and packed away her kit. As we left the water she refused to talk about the incident or even acknowledge that anything unusual had happened. As a group we talked this incident over for weeks but the DM never said one word about it to me.

So many things went wrong that we could not ignore the near disaster. Suffice to say that we, as a group, are a LOT more strict about EVERYTHING. I survived a potentially terrifying experience and have learned so much. Hindsight is a wonderful way to look at something but it doesn't help at the time. We can only hope to learn the lessons it shows us.

Dive safe.

Tom

Glad everything turned out for you.. That had to be nerve racking. People like your "instructor" and that so-called DM are the type of people that give PADI a bad reputation. I, personally, would stay on PADI UK's arse until something was done. Either one of them could kill someone every easily with their practices.:shakehead

At this point I suggested she turn on her torch. "I haven't got one. I've never done a night dive." came the reply. Thinking more about the dive than anything I handed her my main torch and took out my back-up. I was uneasy, but I figured that she had been diving a lot longer than I and she was also more qualified. I figured she knew what she was doing. In fact I thought she was going to be wary of my beginner's techniques and resent being with a newbie.

I would have to say that you both were to blame for this one, as a certified night diver you would know this dive should of never happened. As soon as your DM candidate DB said she had no light this dive should have been canceled. Lucky for you it turned out OK, rules are rules, you break them and it's "lights out!!"

Hi Mauifish.

"you both were to blame for this one"

Absolutely, though I wasn't really seeking to place blame on anyone (especially not my buddy), just share what happened. Suffice to say that I am (luckily) a little bit older and a heck of a lot wiser!

I don't want this to turn into a blame game. I don't think that will help anyone. I do recognise my own culpability in the bad decisions that I made, and I bet my dive buddy would say she was less than impressed with my buddy skills if asked.

If diving now, with that experience behind me, I would do things very differently - I don't think the kit would come out of the car!

I have learned a lot from these lessons and just wanted some of the other divers here to see the sort of chain of bad decisions that can lead to an incident. As the PADI Rescue manual says the primary cause of dive accidents is poor judgement. (Mine in this case.)

If had to lay some blame somewhere it would be with the poor PADI QA procedures that allows an instructor to sign off a DM without doing any knowledge reviews, certify an AOW diver in 1 dive, certify OW students without doing open water dives and generally cut corners with safety procedures and people's lives.

Keep the comments coming! What should I have done upon finding myself in the dark on the bottom of the sea?

Tom

That's unbelievable! You are so lucky you kept your head about you and things turned out ok! And the divemester?!? What was she thinking?!? She was lacking even the most basic skills. I would definitely stay on PADI. Who knows how many other similar divemeasters he has turned out. Glad you are OK. Thanks for the info.

I hope you scratched her off your list of people with whom you will dive. My personal thought is that if she were the last buddy left in the world, I'd dive solo or take up rock climbing.

Showing up for a night dive without a light? That's not just poor training, that's a singular lack of any sort of intelligence, in my book!

This is a good example of why the equipment for night dives or anyplace else where it's going to be dark includes not only a primary light, but a backup.

Another question -- Did your depth gauge have a backlight capability? Because if it does, you can do an ascent, even in the complete dark. As long as you can see your depth, you can control your rate of rise, and that's what's important.

Lots of good lessons here, and I'm glad nobody got hurt.

Im with TsandM.. Going for a NIGHT DIVE without a light.. Now how did that DM expect to see ANYTHING down there? "Hey, its just pitch black here, thats not a problem, i have built-in night vision"?

Now that is however only one of many things that went wrong here tho..
First this DM is not a certified night diver, so she shouldnt been doing the dive in the first place (Can you get to DM without night dive??)..
I assume the DM didnt have a lightstick or other light source attached to herself either, and since you scared Lee to probably wet his suit my guess is you didnt either? You both should as it makes finding people a lot easier.
How long where you down after your buddy took off? If you lose your buddy, you should do a quick search and surface and try to get contact there, rather than descend into the darkness without seeing anything.

Im glad it all worked out in the end and I dont think diving with that DM again would be my course of action..

And thanks a lot for sharing.. This shows pretty well how important it is to plan a dive properly, both with regards to people and equipment as well as the aspect of the dive itself

ItsBruce:
I hope you scratched her off your list of people with whom you will dive. My personal thought is that if she were the last buddy left in the world, I'd dive solo or take up rock climbing.
Well, it dont look like you have an OPTION with that "buddy" :p

Back
Top Bottom