Frightening night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of things one might say here - and my team mate Tevis already pointed out the importance of carrying TWO back-up lights in addition to the primary.

Here is my unique contribution. I think you may have made a poor choice descending to the bottom and waiting for a possible team reunion while building up nitrogen loading. What if your team mates did not come back into your view?

From the OP it sounds like the separation occured very early in the dive - depth was not specified, but let's say it was 55 feet. If you were 5 minutes into a dive at 55 feet, nitrogen loading would be negligible and (assuming no boat traffic) you could have a bouyancy issue on ascent due to disorientation and, as long and you continued to exhale fully, all would be well.

But if instead you spent 30 minutes at 70 ft. waiting for a reunion that never happened - what then? The demands on a proper ascent and "safety stop" with no light beyond gauge lights and no visual references - would be somewhat greater.

Jim

As for night dive for AOW certification, I think they might actually be mandatory here in Norway, due to the fact that during fall, winter and spring the number of hours we have actual daylight is very few.. (Land of the midnight sun my ***)
If its not mandatory, it is atleast common practice to have deep, navigation and night dives, plus 2 other specialties, which in my case was search and recovery and wreck..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom