From Fiji ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trouble is there's not many choices from the west coast other than flying Quantas and back to Fiji. And Fiji Air knows it. Yes, they cancel quite a few flights and the Nadi airport is disorganized and very slow.

We've learned the hard way to book all of your route from Seattle through Fiji Air (including the AK air connections) that way Fiji Air is responsible for the tickets or a hotel in LA, etc if they are missed. Or if AK is late the same thing holds true. Also one bag fee all the way through.

OH joy, I am flying them all the way to Honihari in the Solomons the end of July...

We came home with Fiji Air and some new VP just instituted a very strick overhead baggage policy that is just stupid. Had to check my camera gear that flew down on Quantas and the Caribbean no problems ever.

Yup ... 15 lb carry-on limit, and they were checking. This is the first time ever I checked my photography gear rather than carrying it. Fortunately it made the trip OK, and without damage. But to my concern, it's a huge risk.

Also, they'll let you carry on your CPAP machine ... but they have a form that you have to have your doctor fill out in advance first.

Some of their rules are just mind-blowing. But you know the old saying ... when you're the only show in town, you don't have to be good ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

15lb carryon limit is not that uncommon, much as it sucks. This is an interesting list, though dated - Carry-On & Weight Baggage Limit Chart For 68 World Airlines - Flying With Fish - Flying With Fish. A possibly more up to date one - http://www.farecompare.com/about/worldwide-baggage-fee-chart/ . They don't cover a lot of domestic/regional airlines and I suspect many of those have low limits too. Of course the real trick is to know which ones weigh things, how strict they actually are, what you can get away with for a "personal item" if they allow that too, and generally how to work the system - all info that can be hard to come by and changes with the phase of the moon and mood of the agents.

Interestingly Cebu Pacific in the Philippines has a 15lb limit, but actually says they don't want you to check cameras or electronics, and supposedly doesn't include their weight in the carryon allowance. Don't know if you could convince them 30 pounds of camera gear all counted as a camera if they questioned it, but my husband waltzed right through recently with his small 15# rollaboard, plus his much heavier camera backpack casually slug over his shoulder, both unweighed and unquestioned. My larger (typical US size) rollaboard was weighed once, but I had it at exactly15lb. When we were on Philippines Air a few years back, I don't recall that they explicitly said that about electronics, but when they weighed my (heavy) backpack they asked if it contained a laptop, then passed it along. On the other hand, I heard a story about someone who took their camera out of their overweight bag and handed it to someone in full sight of the agent, then promptly put it back in the bag after it was weighed, and that made it ok. :rolleyes:

What is also a real pain is when you have an itinerary including airlines with very different baggage rules, such that you have to rejigger things along the way. :( I've seen situations where one airline will follow the more generous rules of a partner on the same itinerary, but then sometimes not.

I imagine there are times when baggage rules actually discourage people from visiting a place. I know it won't totally stop me, but it could definitely sway a decision. It would be nice if government or tourism boards could put some pressure on airlines that make things unnecessarily difficult for visitors, especially if there's no practical alternative. (I know, dream on.)

My husband checked his camera in a hard case on Quantas - another with a 15lb limit. It made it fine, then was promptly damaged by a bell hop in Cairns. :(

Back
Top Bottom