From Orlando to where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cabrerad

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am attending a conference from November 1-8 in Orlando, Florida. I am looking into doing some diving. I have looked at previous threads suggesting some of the springs, as well as West Palm and Boyton Beach. So i have two questions. First, for those floridians here, how far is the Orlando-West Palm/Boyton Drive? Second, is there any diving straight east of Orlando (and is it worth saving some driving time)? I appreciate any input.

Thanks.

David C.:eek:ut::confused:

Cabrerad- Let me first say, Have a safe trip!

Being a newbie ,due east of Orlando, I had the same questions re. local diving. My LDS said that charters are always trying but never succeding (including them) in establishing a buisness. There just isn't anything reliable to dive on. Poor viz, and lack to see when your so close to West Palm. Though, I hear the u/w hunting is very good if thats you preference. From Cocoa Beach it's about 2 1/2 hours at or slightly ahead of the posted speed limit to W. Palm. Orlando is about 1 hour west of Cocoa but I'm sure you could take the turnpike south to I-95 and save some time.

Hope you find Dive Time., Let me know if you have any "O"-town questions I'll try to help.

-Crispy

Welcome to So.FL in advance, cabrerad.
If you chose to come down to WPB, the Turnpike is definitely the easiest option from Orlando. It's @ 2 hours drive w/no traffic.
I happen to prefer going a little further down to Boynton; my diving luck hasn't been very good in WPB, but I have a feeling there's lots out there I just haven't been lucky eonugh to encounter.
As far as particular charters, all you have to do is pull out the yellow pages==there's plenty to choose from! They generally run @ $50-60 for a two tank dive, + rental costs. They're generally simple, easy drift dives. However, I know there are a number of wrecks to choose from as well, if that's your preference.
Water temp will be @75 in November.

Best of luck; let us know what you decide!

KB :tree:

Lots of diving, just let me know what days you are "off", and I will see what I can do! If you want to lobster, we can always go off of Daytona Beach.

Thanks for the input Crispy, Kbeck, and NetDoc;

I figured Boyton was the place to go. Do you have any preferred Scuba charters in the area? I'll have to check back with my other two coworkers who are interested in diving to see what kind of dives (drift, wreck etc) they would like to do.

David C.

Loggerhead Charters. One of the firendliest boats I have ever dove off of.

I just dove with the Pelican this weekend (AOW Yeah!). They are in "Two Georges Marina" along with the Loggerhead in Boynton Beach. Great Crew and Great Diving. I believe they have a web site www.pelicandivecharters.com . Connie and Mindy are very personable and will usually cater to the divers choice in locations. We dove on a 265' freighter (The Castor) sitting upright in 120fsw. We descended onto the pilot house and then over the rail into the ships hold (it is NOT an overhead enviroment). It was AWESOME !! This was my first wreck and I'm hooked real bad. The reefs are teeming with life, saw HUGE green Morey. You can't go wrong with Diving in Boynton Beach.

Let us know what you decide.

-Crispy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom