From Plane to Water - Am I giving myself enough time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parsch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a flight on a Saturday evening - 3 hrs in lenghth and arriving at 730pm.

I am interested in diving with a specific charter who only has the next morning at 7am available.

Is it safe to assume enought time has elapsed? I plan on doing two rec dives less that 60 feet. Wont be down longer than 40 min on either dive.

Thanks.

There's no issue with diving immediately after flying. It's the flying right after diving that makes for awkward conversations with the flight attendants about how you really need them to turn the plane around.

My personal best was landing in Cozumel at 1130hrs AM and be in the water four hours later after customs, luggage, transfer to the hotel, handing-in applicable paperwork to the dive shop (dive package purchased before hand on the internet) while my GF was securing our spot in the check-in line-up, registering for last boat dive of the afternoon (1500 hrs departure), checking-in, making my way to the room, transferring my dive gear to my boat bag and getting back to the dive shop for departure. Suitcase was actually unpacked upon my return from diving.

We did the red-eye from Houston to Bonaire, arriving there at 5:00 AM, and were in the water by 9:30 AM. Only managed 3 dives that day! :(

Go for it!

There are no issues with diving after flying, parsch, other than that planes are very dehydrating. Keep hydrated as you normally would for diving. Many of us dive within hours of getting off a plane. Enjoy!

My personal best was landing in Cozumel at 1130hrs AM and be in the water four hours later

Not bad ... but how about landing in Cayman at ten minutes to one and on the dive boat at three.

I think I can run that close.

A couple of years ago, I took a maldives lob.

After the 12 hour flight, we wheeled our baggage trolleys from the arrivals hall straight across the road to the dive tender(dhoni) for the 15 min transfer to the lob.

We put our kit together during that 15 mins. On reaching lob, a cup of tea, dive briefing and 45 mins later we were making our check dive on banana reef!

A recent dive trip to Coron, I landed at 12NN was 60 ft. below the surface of Barracuda Lake by 2:30Pm.

Just make sure you're rested and not dehydrated. My record is probably a few hours from plane to water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom