Frustrations with Suunto RGBM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another note on Suunto's deco.

You also have to keep an eye on the small triangles telling you where to go. One triangle pointing up means you are still going further into deco. The ascent time will get longer. When this triangle disappears, you are fulfilling your deco obligation although it is very slowly. When there are two triangles pointing to each other this is the level where you go through your deco obligation the fastest. If there is one triangle pointing down, you are above the ceiling and need to go down immediatley.

Paul P:
Another note on Suunto's deco.

You also have to keep an eye on the small triangles telling you where to go. One triangle pointing up means you are still going further into deco. The ascent time will get longer. When this triangle disappears, you are fulfilling your deco obligation although it is very slowly. When there are two triangles pointing to each other this is the level where you go through your deco obligation the fastest. If there is one triangle pointing down, you are above the ceiling and need to go down immediatley.
never saw a triangle

They are there on top of where the "Diver Attention Symbol" (triangle with exclamation point) will be, beside the deco info on center screen. The upward arrow should appear as soon as you reach zero NDL time. You can ascend til it disappears provided you can estimate you have enough air to fulfill the deco obligation because the ascent time will not count down in real time.

If all else fails............ READ MANUAL

Know how to use it. Why was it so conservitive compared to other brands when I was never as deep as them? Big difference in times. Maybe it does need repair? Or well never mind.

On a recent trip to Provo three of us on the boat had Suuntos. The walls off Provo start pretty deep and the top of the walls are still over 40 ft. All of us went into deco on the second dives over the course of a few days. At the time I thought I was the only one but later on the boat guys started admitting their deco times - 5 min, 7 min, even 12 min. One guy came out with 6 min left and since he showed up the next day I assume he wasn't bent :).

After three dives going into deco I got used to how the computer starts clicking up the deco minutes and how the deco obligation goes down as one ascends. My preference was to always keep the ascent time under 8 min. but other folks were allowing their times to go higher. That did mean that a few times I was floating above the other divers towards the end of the dives. And I spent a number of extra minutes at 15 but there's nothing wrong with that.

As someone else on the thread put it, it's what the computer is telling you - it's going to take x minutes to get out of the water and you can't go over 10 feet. So, as long as you are willing to spend a few extra minutes at 15 feet the computer is happy and you've offgassed that much more.

Overall I like my Vytek, especially the wireless air integration. If I'm willing to play with some deco minutes I can keep the profile of most of the other divers. But even by going into deco and then making sure it gets cleared I am diving more conservatively which is good.

That all said, I don't think this kind of thing would be good for novices. I wouldn't recommend screwing around with decompression times unless you've got the "other" brain working too.

hikescub:
I wouldn't recommend screwing around with decompression times unless you've got the "other" brain working too.
I wouldn't recommend screwing around with deco times period.
The way you are using your computer takes you into the realm of technical diving and I strongly recommend you prepare yourself accordingly.

domino22:
Know how to use it. Why was it so conservative compared to other brands when I was never as deep as them? Big difference in times. Maybe it does need repair? Or well never mind.
There are 2 main reasons:
- Suunto uses an RGBM algorithm, which also calculates the amount of free gas in your body and increases safety when doing multiple dives and repetitive deep dives.
- Suunto penalizes you for certain less safe behavior. Ascend a little faster, briefly ascend above your ceiling etc. will strongly influence your NDLs.

Actualy triangles in Suunto don't mean that.
Up arrow means, that decompression will be faster if you go up, down arrow means that you must go down. Both arows mean optimum decompression rate which is at the ceiling depth.
Blinking ASC TIME indicator shows that you go further into deco. When indicator stops blinking decompression has slowly begun.

Thanks Scuba Ron for the more pleasant responce this time. I understand the theory behind these computers to a DEGREE but not as much as I should. My main beef is the profile it tells me compared to the other divers in the group with different computers. I already stated I was never as deep as the others and on the second dive I would start out with the group the went solo a short time later due to the Suunto. I have no problem diving alone but I felt left out when I have to go up and watch the rest of the group cruise along below me. I felt CHEATED. Plus currents run at different speeds at different depths- Sometimes- that said I lost site of them twice for the rest of the dive. Only worry was was the boat captain following the groups bubbles or mine? On Barracuda it was rippin so when I surface I was wondering who or what was going to be there. Or was I going to meet Fidel! It just feels like I want to ride my Harley and a friend wants to come along on his moped. With the Cobra I felt like I had the moped on the dive, doe's this help you understand what I am trying to say? Trying to avoid a conflict here. Only trying to dicuss this calmly.

Back
Top Bottom