Ft. Pickens this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just talk to Bay Breeze Scuba, they said that they open up around 10 on Sunday so I guess I'll have to go saturday afternoon. Do you normally do 2 tanks or just 1? This will be my first time diving down there, and first real beach dive.

Hetland - I've seen a lot of your pictures, which are great by the way, so I know you know a thing or two about lights. :D Thanks for your advice!! I have a friend who is going to change out the light of whatever light I get to an led. I don't know if he can change the battery type or not (if anyone knows how it would be him). I've spent a lot of money on gear the last couple of months and am still unsure if I will continue with diving, so I'm really wanting to rig up a light that will work for shore dives as cheap as possible.

Any chance you're coming out on sunday? I'd love to finally meet you and put a face with your screen name.

Thanks for the kind words. I can't make it Sunday. I'm hoping to find a boat to stow away on Saturday, but if that's a wash I'll either dive Ft. Pickens or St. Andrews Saturday.

If you don't have a light by VortoberFest, remind me, and I'll bring a light you can look at. It's not lithium, but it is LED. I don't need to sell it, but if you still need one, and it meets your needs, I might let you talk me into selling it :wink:

You ARE coming to VortoberFest right?

Just talk to Bay Breeze Scuba, they said that they open up around 10 on Sunday so I guess I'll have to go saturday afternoon. Do you normally do 2 tanks or just 1? This will be my first time diving down there, and first real beach dive.

Hmmm, I rented my tanks ($8/tank) there last month and they said 9am for Sunday. Sure is convenient for dropping off, too.

Batteries are an important consideration. Regular alkaline batteries leak over time, and can destroy the innards of any electric device. They also won't last as long, as say a more expensive lithium battery. I generally prefer lithium batteries, because I can drop them in a light and forget them.

Also related to batteries is the pros and cons of rechargeables. You can save a lot of money with rechargeables but they have a sharp depletion curve and will maintain brightness until the end. They also tend to lose their charge over time even if not used. I usually use rechargeables in my primary but always non-rechargeables in my backup.

normaly 2

Can anyone describe how to find or id the parking lot for the new Portofino reef? Also has anyone dived the Pensacola Beach rubble lately? If I get in early enough tomorrow we might do a early evening beach dive.

Will be on the H2O Below Friday and Saturday morning. And Pickens Sunday morning. Anyone up for a low tide evening dive?

I haven't been to one yet. I'm not really into camping and don't know many people so I was a bit afraid I would feel really out of place :(

You don't have to "camp". There are cabins and rooms available for reasonable prices, especially if you go in together with someone and split a room/cabin.

And there's no rule that says you even have to spend the night. Come over early Saturday evening and introduce yourself around. The group I'm with almost always has too much food. Share a plate with everyone and if you hate it, you'll never have to try it again, but if you have a good time, you'll have a good idea on what SpringFest has to offer, and you can go all-in on the next event.

If you don't really know many people (divers) then this is a good way to fix that. There's a wide assortment of personality types, so if you hate one group, move on to the next, or create your own. I've met some of my best diving friends at the 'Fests.

Can anyone describe how to find or id the parking lot for the new Portofino reef?

Go to google maps and paste:
mcguires irish pub to 30.347343,-87.053651

This should place a marker that shows you where the drop-off spot is for scuba gear (the parking lot is to the West)

Can anyone describe how to find or id the parking lot for the new Portofino reef? Also has anyone dived the Pensacola Beach rubble lately? If I get in early enough tomorrow we might do a early evening beach dive.

Will be on the H2O Below Friday and Saturday morning. And Pickens Sunday morning. Anyone up for a low tide evening dive?

If you go passed portofino.. keep going and you will come to a good size parking lot in the curve.... turn in there and go to the left side of the parking lot..... walk out to the beach and walk to the left. you will see to poles in the ground. the reef is directly south of the poles... about 150yds out.... you should see the bouy in the water...

hope this helps,
Cliff Espada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom