Full-face mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi!

I was looking at full-face masks and they looked cool. However, just by curiosity, how would you use your buddy's alternate air source? Is there any con?

Thank you!

We use them at work, and carry an extra mask in a pocket in case things go south. You need to doff the FFM and breath from an alternate air source, then don the half mask and do a controlled assent or evac and assent. If you don't have a mask you are doing it virtually blind.

I have been considering a full fask mask too. I have been looking at them because I tend to slightly exhale, very small amount, through one nostril and have not figured out how to prevent that. So to me, the full face mask sounds like it would minimize the issues I have with that.

I never thought of it, but carrying a secondary mask sounds like it would be a good idea in case the full face mask fails for some reason.

Thanks!

I have used many full face mask and they can be extremely useful or create serval problems. I have found that brand matters more than anything. The biggest problems I have found with cheaper nock offs like ocean reef and others is the how they seal up. It seems like no matter how tight you get some of them they just wont seal water tight. However, I have used the aga interspiro serval times and love it. Not only does it seal everytime, but I also have found that it keeps me considerably warmer when im doing colder (40 degrees) quarry dives in Missouri. I have also had good luck with the Posiedon Atmosphere when I have had the chance to use one.

If you end up deciding that you want to go the FFM route PM me. I have a well taken care of Aga Interspiro positive pressure FFM at a fraction of the price of a new one.I have just upgraded and cant use two at the same time :D. It has been stored inside in a closet and serviced once every year sense I have owned it. Never dove in salt water either!

Hope this helps a little

Make sure that you can swap masks and buddy breathe in your sleep. Than add one other skill to the mix to raise your pulse for when the SHTF.
Honestly, so many people have mask problems for about the first 100 dives or so. Just give it time and experience. Also, try a bunch of different masks, some fit better than others.
You should be exhaling a little through your nose to prevent mask squeeze. One problem beginners often have is wearing the mask too tight. Try it a dive or two so loose that you're almost afraid it will fall off and test the difference. I couldn't believe it when I tried.

I have been considering a full fask mask too. I have been looking at them because I tend to slightly exhale, very small amount, through one nostril and have not figured out how to prevent that. So to me, the full face mask sounds like it would minimize the issues I have with that.
I used to exhale through the mouth, then someone clued me in that you can be slightly more gas conservative if you exhale through the nose, I switched and noticed that it's a lot easier to do a long slow exhalation through the nose, and I barely ever exhale through the mouth while diving now, except for training purposes.

I have been thinking that exhaling through my nose was a bad thing because of the stream of bubbles going up in front of my face. I do understand the mask squeeze issue and have not seemed to have a problem with that. I will also loosen the mask even more than it is and give that a try!

Thanks!

I used to exhale through the mouth, then someone clued me in that you can be slightly more gas conservative if you exhale through the nose, I switched and noticed that it's a lot easier to do a long slow exhalation through the nose, and I barely ever exhale through the mouth while diving now, except for training purposes.

Are you using mask with purge valve ?

Back
Top Bottom