Full Face Mask revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I didn't try any others but I absolutely loved the AGA when I used it. Not only that but most of the divers for the fire department that dive for bodies in the huge lake near me use them on almost a daily basis and love them too. I dive with the director of the dive team for the body recovery unit and he has tried just about all of them and seems to like the AGA a lot. At least that is the one he uses as his primary setup. Gotta love that government funding!

Let me point out that, like dry suits, most opinions concerning FFMs are based on a complete lack of experience with anything except the one that that was bought (or tried once), reinforced by the high price tag of the item. It is a shame that items like those are hard to rent, and even harder to find demos for.

That's why when Akimbo says he's had good luck with the Super Mask, I listen and will make an effort to get a hold of one and try it out for a couple of weeks.

BTW: I think that the AGA is a great mask.

Thal, if I can get my fat a** out to Kona, I will let you try mine out. :wink:

And yes I have used all of the masks mentioned except the Neptune and the ScubaPro (i.e. Cressi knock-off).

I did not know that you were on the island!

SangP,

I asked that question about visual distortion as years ago a fire department asked me to evaluate a Scott Air Pak for limited use underwater. There was a positioning problem with the regulator which made it free-flow (the same problem Cousteau encountered in his very first dive with the first Aqualung, before the double hose feature was added). But there was also an extreme visual distortion which was so bad that it almost produced vertigo when I moved my head. I have since been skeptical of curved surfaces underwater.

SeaRat

I have perfect vision and I find even wearing shades a bit disconcerting. I can't play a game of tennis with a pair of Oakleys.

One of the other reasons why never wanted to try out a hydrooptix mask was the above surface distortion but the Secora 600 wasn't all that bad.

SangP

A quick update, I tried out the Kirby Morgan SuperMask M-48 and fortunately I did not buy b4 trying out cus it doesn't fit me well. I could barely squeeze the tips of my nose with that mask :(!

Next the Guardian/Draeger Nova.

SangP

At least you tried it. :)

I was rather disappointed that it didn't fit me well cus it looks really cool and really well built.

Doesn't quite have the great vision angles of some my other masks but then again I could barely get it to fit, the mask was rather narrow.

SangP

sangp
just wondering if you had looked into ocean reef?
i too am asian and think that it fits me quite well(i know not all asians are alike....... or are we? lol), i got the ocean reef neptune, i don't think you'll be able to use your personal reg with this mask though.
i found one for a good price, and bought it originally for the "neto" factor but so far im liking it. have only been doing tests in the pool setting as i havn't gotten the opportunity to go to a lake dive with it yet.

This being my first FFM and i too am the guinea pig so to speak as far as trying new gear for me and my dive buddies.

No not yet but so far I'm leaning more and more towards the draeger nova cus it has all the necessary hardware for rebreathers/different p ports for other 2nd stages too.

I just need to find one to try it on my face.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom