Full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just curious but this is something I have never had to use but what are the pros and cons of using a full face mask.

The main ones are the ability to use coms and full face coverage in cold water.

A minor one would be not drowning in the event of ox tox, but that is only an issue during in water re-compression or if you have already really screwed up. Another con is the increased volume and the resulting excess buoyancy or the need for counter weights to keep the mask neutral.

The cons are the need (with most designs) to have a back up mask along in the event of a gas switch or an OOA gas share, and increased gas consumption (from using the com capability, or from a less than perfect face seal on a positive pressure mask).

It's a tool, but one you really only want to have along to meet a specific purpose.

I dove one in one of the big lakes near my house with my buddy who is a rescue diver for the fire department and I absolutely loved it. No fog at all, great seal, amazing field of view and surprisingly easy to use and I could talk with my buddy. I was amazed! But thats just my opinion.

I have dove the AGA and the ocean reef masks. They are cool but I don't like the nose blocks for equalizing. I'd love to get my hands on the KMB 48. Oceanic used to have a similar version they called the JMC super mask. Almost snagged the last one they had on stock a couple years ago. Then something else came up and it was pushed to the back burner. There are some others out there that do not have all the bells and whistles. They are basically just a silicone face mask with eyes that you put any second stage in. Never tried one of those.
Cressi Full Face Rubber Mask

and I see scubapro has this one as well:
Scubapro Full Face Mask, All Black

Problem with both of these is that like the AGA and Ocean Reef in an OOA you need to dump the whole mask. The KMB you just ditch the pod and go to any second or another pod.

The main ones are the ability to use coms and full face coverage in cold water.

A minor one would be not drowning in the event of ox tox, but that is only an issue during in water re-compression or if you have already really screwed up. Another con is the increased volume and the resulting excess buoyancy or the need for counter weights to keep the mask neutral.

The cons are the need (with most designs) to have a back up mask along in the event of a gas switch or an OOA gas share, and increased gas consumption (from using the com capability, or from a less than perfect face seal on a positive pressure mask).

It's a tool, but one you really only want to have along to meet a specific purpose.

It's also great for cold water diving, not eating crud when cleaning the hull of a boat, prevents dry mouth.

Con, the need for a spare mask but then again I always carry a spare mask, switching regs can be a pain if it's even possible or you have multiple ports. You get Darth Vader jokes and seal isn't always perfect.

SangP

I used to use one similar to the Cressi ones for ice diving. It did keep my face warmer, but otherwise was a bit of a pain. It was difficult to let water in to rinse if it fogged up, and difficult to clear after you got water in it. Still, it was an improvement for ice diving. I still have it, but I don't ice dive any more. That is probably just as well, since I have a beard now, and that would probably interfere with the seal around the chin.

I have dove the AGA and the ocean reef masks. They are cool but I don't like the nose blocks for equalizing. I'd love to get my hands on the KMB 48. Oceanic used to have a similar version they called the JMC super mask. Almost snagged the last one they had on stock a couple years ago. Then something else came up and it was pushed to the back burner. There are some others out there that do not have all the bells and whistles. They are basically just a silicone face mask with eyes that you put any second stage in. Never tried one of those.
Cressi Full Face Rubber Mask

and I see scubapro has this one as well:
Scubapro Full Face Mask, All Black

Problem with both of these is that like the AGA and Ocean Reef in an OOA you need to dump the whole mask. The KMB you just ditch the pod and go to any second or another pod.

Hi Jim:
I have a scuba pro, and if you do not use the com port you can put an alternate second stage in place of it. I have mine set up that way with the alternate set to higher cracking pressure. The other nice thing in the design is there are no nose plugs for equalizing, you can pinch your nose if you need to, I do not use it often but I do like it.

Am sure the Darth Vader was the best of the compliments. It looks like something out of a bad x-rated movie. Sheesh.

With that said, however, scuba is far from a fashion sport, and I would love to try one out. My mouth is typically really dry when I dive and it would be very very cool to have communication without hand signals!

I have been looking into the Scuba Pro unit for a little while now, and I can't really see too many cons that would outweigh the benefits.
For Firefighting I use a SCBA with a full face mask and positive pressure second stage regulator, so I am fairly comfortable with the feel, I just don't know if the price justifies it for my level of use.
The three biggest pros for it seem to be the field of view, dry throat reduction, and warmth on cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom