Question "Full Size" v "Mini" Octos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antothoro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Curious about your thoughts about the "full size" octos (Mares Rover Octo or Abyss Octo) vs the "mini" octos (Mares MV Octo or SxS Octo).

I posted this spare tire analogy a long time ago:

Air2 == run flat tire
cheap backup == mini spare
std. reg == std. tire as a spare

When Davey Jones comes a calling I like having a std. reg. More over a reg that is no different than my primary/

I posted this spare tire analogy a long time ago:

Air2 == run flat tire
cheap backup == mini spare
std. reg == std. tire as a spare

When Davey Jones comes a calling I like having a std. reg. More over a reg that is no different than my primary/
When I was young and was going to live forever, I didn't mind that my octo was cheap and breathed like sucking air through a clogged garden hose.

Back then I drove sports cars way too fast as well. Now I swear by my Land Cruisers with their reliability (and full size spares)!

Nothing wrong with them. Might not be optimal depending on the type of diving you are doing, but I see minis and Air2s on rec dive boats all the time. I regularly buddy with other divers that use them without issue. Like any other reg, make sure they are serviced as needed and are functional.

The main benefits of the Mares MV and the Mares SxS 2nd stages are their side exaust and that they can be breathed inverted without the "breathing wet" issue that standard 2nd stages suffer when inverted.

Both the MV and the SxS are available as octos and primary 2nd stages.

Mares' ad-copy boasts the MV/SxS as "high performance compact" 2nd stages. Whether these are truly high performance is certainly the subject of a more comprehensive discussion on 2nd stage design and performance.

It should be noted that the technical specs for the MV octo lists its air delivery capacity as 2300L/min with an air supply at 180bar....compare that to their Abyss 2nd stage which lists a capacity of 2400L/min with an air supply at 180bar. There are other factors that determine the "high performance" nature of a 2nd stage, but based on air delivery the MV and SxS should perform reliably to the 50meter limit of its EN250 CE testing/certification.

-Z

I don't understand the logic in compromising regulator performance in a situation where you really need the gas for the sake of a slightly smaller second stage.

Are you stating this as a general concern or are you specifically refering to the 2nd stages the OP has referenced? If the latter, can you cite any facts/evidence that these 2nd stages are a compromise?

-Z

Are you stating this as a general concern or are you specifically refering to the 2nd stages the OP has referenced? If the latter, can you cite any facts/evidence that these 2nd stages are a compromise?

-Z

General concern. If they're not a compromise, then why not use them as a primary second stage?

General concern. If they're not a compromise, then why not use them as a primary second stage?
Read post #7 above my question. Mares makes/markets this type of stage as both octo and primary 2nd stage. Here is a picture of the two SxS 2nd stages paired with the Mares 62X 1st stage:

1695044390399.png

The Mares MV was often paired with the Mares 12S diaphragm 1st stage, as shown here:
1695044520035.png

-Z

Back
Top Bottom