Question "Full Size" v "Mini" Octos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prefacing this with just having bought a DGX BCI for a special mission scuba kit, the only time that I ever really needed an octopus/second I had an Ocenaic pancake. And it simply was not good enough. My primary filled my lungs and larynx full of seawater and a laryngeal spasm and ----- and I died. Then I came back to life and was able to expel some of the water and the spasm subsided enough I could sort of breath and in trying to regroup with my missing buddies (I hate that when that happens) the pancake reg proved wholly inadequate to the task causing my already very stressed body to be further stressed to the point beyond total exhaustion and nearly passed out a second time. And then decided with what brain cells were still oxygenated enough to function to just go up to the surface and hope the boat will see me. And it turned out I had mostly caught back up to the group and they swam over to me and asked me where I went. I offered no explanation, coughing up blood, I bit my tongue guys, oh and that bull shark circling, do not worry about him, we came to an agreement. Yeah, if you or your buddy ever really needs the secondary, you are they will appreciate the same high performance type regulator as your primary (a yellow cover is fine). FWIW.

Yes, lot's of divers carry the mini and combo units but have they ever really used one for real in a stressed situation? Mostly not.

I'd put the SxS into the "compact" category, rather than "mini". Other examples of compact regs would be the old Mares Proton, Apeks XL4, HOG Edge Nano and Aqualung Mikron. These are all perfectly usable for normal rec dives as a primary, and thus equally acceptable as an octo for the same types of dives.

The ones I'd avoid are the cheap downstream seconds, especially the slimline or streamlined versions like these:

OCNSL3O.jpg

UDRABS.jpg

I used the slim octos for awhile, decided to try one out at 30ft one weekend and took them off all my regs the Monday after. They were all adjusted properly, maybe they've gotten better?

A decent unbalanced 2nd is fine(r190, al titan, etc)

My only issue with air2 style things is if they would breath poorly. Oog situations happen rarely enough that being a cluster**** is fine, being a panicked cluster because you're breathing through a straw is not.

Prefacing this with just having bought a DGX BCI for a special mission scuba kit, the only time that I ever really needed an octopus/second I had an Ocenaic pancake. And it simply was not good enough. My primary filled my lungs and larynx full of seawater and a laryngeal spasm and ----- and I died. Then I came back to life and was able to expel some of the water and the spasm subsided enough I could sort of breath and in trying to regroup with my missing buddies (I hate that when that happens) the pancake reg proved wholly inadequate to the task causing my already very stressed body to be further stressed to the point beyond total exhaustion and nearly passed out a second time. And then decided with what brain cells were still oxygenated enough to function to just go up to the surface and hope the boat will see me. And it turned out I had mostly caught back up to the group and they swam over to me and asked me where I went. I offered no explanation, coughing up blood, I bit my tongue guys, oh and that bull shark circling, do not worry about him, we came to an agreement. Yeah, if you or your buddy ever really needs the secondary, you are they will appreciate the same high performance type regulator as your primary (a yellow cover is fine). FWIW.

Yes, lot's of divers carry the mini and combo units but have they ever really used one for real in a stressed situation? Mostly not.
From what you wrote, it seems like your primary 2nd stage "simply was not good enough"...it wasn't your octo that "filled your lungs and larynx full of seawater" and cause "laryngeal spasm" and caused you to die.

Perhaps, in your stressed out state, you would have had problems with the performance of any 2nd stage. Its not like you were in a very good state-of-mind and making prudent judgement calls.....you died and came back to life and were still having breathing issues, equipment or body related, and instead of heading towards the surface your initial intention was to search around for and regroup with your buddies....heading to the surface was an after-thought.

Glad you survived....but not sure this is good evidence that your octo was crap.

just sayin'

-Z

From what you wrote, it seems like your primary 2nd stage "simply was not good enough"...it wasn't your octo that "filled your lungs and larynx full of seawater" and cause "laryngeal spasm" and caused you to die.

Perhaps, in your stressed out state, you would have had problems with the performance of any 2nd stage. Its not like you were in a very good state-of-mind and making prudent judgement calls.....you died and came back to life and were still having breathing issues, equipment or body related, and instead of heading towards the surface your initial intention was to search around for and regroup with your buddies....heading to the surface was an after-thought.

Glad you survived....but not sure this is good evidence that your octo was crap.

just sayin'

-Z

The reasons I needed to switch to another second stage and all of the events and things that occurred are not really pertinent to this thread topic, the fact is that I needed one and the one I had was inadequate.

The reasons I needed to switch to another second stage and all of the events and things that occurred are not really pertinent to this thread topic, the fact is that I needed one and the one I had was inadequate.

It is all pertinent to this topic, specifically because you are saying these types of 2nd stages are "inadequate" and it is unclear what would have been adequate in the situation you described....its not like you repeated the events with a different type of 2nd stage to make a comparative analysis....for all we know you were overstressed and overtasked. Despite what happened, you made some poor decisions, because you weren't in your "right mind", we are expected to understand that but not expected to think that you ability to evaluate your breathing apparatus was diminished too.

I actually couldn't care less about what specific type, brand, or model 2nd stage you choose to dive with...or what anyone else chooses to dive with either. I just don't think your anecdote shows adequate evidence that the 2nd stage type in question is truly inadequate.

Nice story though:
"My primary filled my lungs and larynx full of seawater and a laryngeal spasm and ----- and I died. Then I came back to life.....":rofl3:

-Z

I am not going to have an argument with you. If you wan
Nice story though:
"My primary filled my lungs and larynx full of seawater and a laryngeal spasm and ----- and I died. Then I came back to life.....":rofl3:

-Z

I did not read any of that, I skipped to the last sentence as it caught my eye. It is that sort of thing that keeps me from relaying what exactly transpired during the interim I was unconscious. I did pass out or black out or something during the event.

I have upgraded and changed many things since, including the octopus used in this particular case. I no longer routinely dive with the configuration and type of equipment I was using at the time (including a pancake octopus second) except for demonstration purpose.

I am not really sure of your question or the laughing, there was nothing funny with aspiration caused pneumonia. Maybe just PM me and we can have an adult discussion if you like. Heck, I will give you my phone number and you can call me up and have a friendly talk. But I am staying with what I said.

I am wedded to a big, clunky old Conshelf 2nd stage, so following the logic of @Scared Silly, I’ve got it nailed with the second 1085 box on a long yellow hose as my “spare second”. Howsomever, I also use an AIR2 as my inflator because not only does it do its primary job well, it’s always handy if I need air quickly. Call it an idiosyncrasy, but it works for me! YMMV.
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom