Fun New Project: 100 Lbs Of Thrust In A 10 Lb Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrust was measured by looking at the current draw and comparing it to the propeller simulations (which were pretty accurate for Jetboots) - I didn't get out the fish scale, but I think we were at least at ~80 lbs based on feel. As to the power density, that was kind of the point of the project! It drains its batteries at 10C, pulling something like 2200-3000 Watts (4-5 hp) for 5 minutes. It is pretty hard to hold on to - in one of the videos you see me using a tow rope. You definitely need two hands.

Again, the numbers don't sound practical . Assuming a 12v battery, the current would be in the 200 to 250 amp range for the wattages you state. Your horse power calcs are off too....2200-3000 is 2 to 3 hp. That amount of current is going to cause a lot of heating unless you have some large conductors. Care to share the battery and motor type/model?

It is a 24V motor, running about ~110 amps. 750 watts/hp, so 3-4 hp is probably more accurate. It does use a gearbox and brushless motor - efficiency just isn't good enough without one at these RPM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom