Fun With Currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikums

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was diving in the Maldives, with my dad as my buddy. It was a drift dive along a sort-of wall and the current was quite swift, which was fine until it started to blow away and down from the reef. My dad was ahead of me, so he was blown off first. While I managed to find an overhang, he had to descend to the bottom, 90ft, and climb his way back to the reef. By the time he got back, I had been blown out of my overhang shelter. I quickly blew threw about 1000 psi at 85ft trying to get back to the reef before I gave up and started to tap wildly on my tank. Since I had never been in this situation, I was a little freaked out. My dad realized where I was and when he joined me, I signaled to end the dive. One of the divemasters from the boat somehow caught up to us, and asked if I was OK so I told him I was headed up. We did a safe ascent, followed by a long safety stop because of the hard work at a deep depth. The three of us surfaced just fine. Since we where diving off a boat, there where seven more people who went down with us. They came up three minutes later and told a story about how the current got even weirder. Apparently it was pushing them down in a washing machine motion. So, the lesson here was twofold. I have now experienced a new current and if I am freaking out, I'll have the presence of mind to abort a dive and make a safe ascent.

Fearsome, I had one once that sounds similar to that in Scapa flow north of Scotland. me and my buddy came out of a wreck and the conditions were horrific. we were diving one of the block ships so not too deep. We managed to get an SMB off by me releasing it while my buddy was holding on to me and the wreck, upon deployment it shot off sideways and all 40 Meters unravelled in no time, by the time we started trying to go up the sea had nailed us to the floor and we were stuck clingin on to each other while trying to work out a plan. wierdly I remember laughing which was causing water to come in my mask adding to the complications. We eventually managed to get off the floor when things changed again and we got ripped up toward the surface, doing what we could to slow the ascent we made it to the surface with no further drama. The whole thing was a hell of an experience and one that reminded me of the importance of respecting the ocean.

The DM there on the boat was a fiersome guy, totally no nonesence and very specific about plans etc, that was a place where customer service really takes a backseat against getting the message accross and I can totally appreciate why.

While on a dive at Wolf Island in the Galapagos, I got caught in a major up current while on a wall. The current seperated me from my group & took me immediately from 70 ft to about 40 ft. I tried for several minutes to climb back down to the group, but the current would not let me. I tried to signal my buddy, & could see her looking for me, she could not find me. I completely exhausted myself trying to go against the current to get back down. My air was starting to get low because of the immense effort I had to use to hold on. About that time, the rock I was clinging to broke off. The current then immediately took me from 40 ft to the surface. It was "blow & go", I had no choice. Once on the surface, I had to swim away from the cliff wall of the island to keep from getting smashed against it in literally, 12 ft seas. I was able to deply my marker flag & sounded my air whistle. Even though it seemed like hours, the Panga (Zodiac) driver came & picked me up within a couple of minutes. After about 5 min. my buddy & the dive master came up air sharing. It seems my buddy used up her air looking for me. Wow! That was a close one. My buddy was quite upset that I had left her, but understood when I explained that I had gotten caught in that current, tried to climb down to her & did try to signal her. I had no say in the matter. I was at the mercy of Mother Nature. In the end, everything was well, but it was certainly exciting. Because of the rapid ascent, I chose to sit out the rest of the dives that day.

My first experience with currents on walls was in Indonesia, and I got caught in a couple of upcurrents before I learned what to look for. The power of water moving up or down is formidable and you are right that we have to respect it!

Tammy, one of the few times I've had a buddy separation event in Puget Sound was when my husband got caught in an updraft and carried up about 30 feet before he could get stopped. We managed to reunite, but only because I elected to "ascend" along the structure, in the thought that he would do the same.

I've had friends get caught in up and down currents a fair distance away from the wall we were diving, where even a scooter wasn't enough to battle it. High current diving is not for the faint at heart!

I remember one time in Bonaire I got caught in a .0003 knot current headed North..luckily i was on the south side and I got blown past my original exit point by about 17 feet. That was a close one...I'll never forget that.

Current is one of the things we just learn to deal with in Puget Sound. My local (5 minutes from my home) dive site has a kinda weird current at times that we've lovingly dubbed the "Redondo River". It usually comes in on a big ebb, and manifests itself as a strong northerly flow in the shallows, and a rather dramatic downwelling along the dropoff. I had an interesting encounter there a couple years ago and wrote a little story about it ...

Miso Soup
Originally posted July 9, 2008

Sometimes the most interesting dives are the ones that don’t go according to plan. Cheng and I had an interesting one at Redondo recently.

I’d been having consistent luck finding lumpsuckers down in the seaweed beds between the carousel boat and bottle field … not to mention finding all sorts of other interesting “small stuff” like unusual nudibranchs, small octopus, the occasional stubby squid and grunt sculpin. But with the lumpsuckers, in particular, none of my pictures were coming out … mainly because they were all really tiny ones, and sitting on a piece of seaweed that’s gently moving all the time poses certain challenges with a point-n-shoot camera.

We entered the water on a really low slack … the tail-end of an 11-foot ebb going into an equally large flood. But Redondo’s usually pretty user-friendly, so we weren’t too concerned. The tide was very low … we finned up while literally standing on the edge of the dropoff. There wouldn’t be much of a surface swim today … we kicked out about 30 feet and dropped.

Going downslope, I found the tiniest mosshead warbonnet I’ve ever seen … maybe an inch long. We stopped and took a couple pictures, and proceeded down toward the carousel boat … I was a man on a mission, after all. Further down the line we came upon a couple of grunt sculpins .. one of them quite orange and pretty.

Vis wasn’t very good … but that’s about normal on a very low tide. At the carousel boat we looked for the octopus that’s been denning under there, but apparently it wasn’t home. Or at least, it wasn’t visible by peering under the boat. So we turned south and headed through the seaweed bed toward the bottle field.

We hadn’t gone very far when I found what I was looking for … a tiny lumpsucker, so tiny it more qualified as an insect than a fish. I got Cheng’s attention and moved back a little bit so she could get a picture unimpeded. She took a couple shots, then motioned for me to have my turn. As I was setting up the shot, I noticed a lot of seaweed getting kicked up. A little annoyed, I turned to motion for Cheng to stop kicking … and then noticed that she was hovering perfectly still, a little bit down current from the subject … right where she was supposed to be. So what was kicking up all the seaweed? Looking upslope, into the current, I couldn’t help but notice a literal wall of seaweed moving toward us … fast. About all I had time to do was signal Cheng, point toward it, and move closer to her. Then we were enveloped in a literal maelstrom of flying seaweed and current. Flying bits of seaweed were sticking to my mask, and visibility went to zero in a hurry.

We both reached out and grabbed each other, holding hands as the current kicked both us and the seaweed around. To say it was disorienting is an understatement … I know I lost all sense of direction, and I’m sure Cheng did too. So I pushed downward on her hand and released all the air from my suit and wing … hoping she would do the same (she did). We felt … but did not see … the bottom.

Well … I thought to myself … this is good practice. I’m trained for it, but she’s not. We’ve done a lot of dives together, so let’s see where it goes. Tugging on her hand, I guided her in the direction I thought would get us back to the carousel boat. She squeezed my hand back (OK) and pushed in the same direction (she understood what I wanted to do). Clinging to each other’s hands, we literally crawled together … not being able to see a thing past the inside of our masks. Within a minute or so we literally bumped into the side of the boat. Feeling our way to the bow, we found the guide rope that would take us back upslope. Once on the rope, life felt good indeed … I knew that as long as we didn’t lose the rope we wouldn’t need to see … it would take us home.

By the time we got back up to 50 feet, the current had slowed down and the seaweed had thinned out to the point where we could at least let go and wipe our masks clear … we could see the rope and parts of each other. The current was still running downslope, but at a much moderated pace … one we could easily deal with. At about 30 feet the current reversed, and gently pushed us upslope. At 10 feet it quit altogether.

When we surfaced, everything around us looked completely calm. We were a bit baffled by what we’d experienced until we looked further out, where we could see a line of ripples running like a river … bracketed on both sides by glassy calm water and moving steadily away from shore.

Getting out of the water was downright comical … we were covered head to toe in seaweed … two “swamp things” emerging from the deep. As we headed off to the showers I remarked to Cheng, “what the heck was that, anyway”. Her response was typically Cheng … all she said was “miso soup”.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What a scary experience of being caught in a downcurrent, Mikums. There are some interesting threads on here from the past about how to avoid and deal with downcurrents. They're more common than many people think. A saving grace for many people who have been caught in a downcurrent is that it happened near the beginning of the dive rather than the end, so they had plenty of air to deal with it and not a lot of nitrogen build-up.

Here are some threads on downcurrents:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/211115-deadly-down-current.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/327594-dealing-downcurrents.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/48956-what-proper-procedure-downcurrent.html

Bob, that sounds JUST like what caught me and Lauri DeVore one night -- except we couldn't get back to the rope, and ended up just settling for anything that got us shallower. We came out on the far side of the fishing pier!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom