Fun with photoshop!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bora_Horza

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All, just been messing on photoshop with some of my old photos taken with a Sea & Sea MX-10 and other 35mm film cameras, and some of my 'almost good' pics taken digitally.

The problem with these pics is that while they might be of interesting subjects, the quality of the photos themselves (or how they were scanned from film to jpg) is not quite up there with the crisp, sharp images that are possible nowdays - so either a bit out of focus, grainy, or over exposed.

I think its only so far that photoshop can turn an 'ok photo' into a 'quality photo'. But by using some of the 'artistic' functions in photoshop, you can turn an 'ok photo' into an 'interesting painting', thus neatly sidestepping a lot of 'sharp focus' issues and all that stuff.

Not exactly a unique insight I know! But I was pleasantly surprised by the results that are possible, and its made me re-evaluate my catalogue of pics in a new light.

Anyway, a bit of fun, and here are a few examples of what I'm going on about :)

This one was taken with one of those plastic disposable UW cameras:
anenomes_orig.jpg

And the re-vamp...
anenomes2.jpg

IMG_4371_original.jpg

IMG_4371_cuttlefish.jpg

Manta_Rays1.jpg

IMG_4852_juv_batfish.jpg

Spearfishers41.jpg

UW_Batfish82.jpg

seasnake3.jpg

IMG_3033_red_scorpionfish.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, man, I'd love a copy of the batfish photo. That's stunning.

My husband played with a bunch of cave diving pictures in Photoshop a few years ago, and framed a couple of "paintings" for me as a gift. Some of them really came out beautifully.

The effect you used it a great one to use in photoshop because of both its ease of use, and also its great effects on most any photos with good coloring, good work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom