Funny situation - or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been the diver sharing air with the DM - in my case it was on a liveaboard doing a drift dive and I signalled the DM that I was at 100 bar (as discussed at the breifing) and the DM signalled to share. Still plenty air left for emergencies but doing so extended the dive by quite a bit. The air share was not planned (on my part anyway) but I guess he does it a lot.

There was no panic or insecurity (just a feeling of frustration on my part about my air consumption but I guess at 6'3 and a tad over weight I will probably always use more than most).

Not uncommon to see this in heavily dived areas where DMs are trying to keep all divers happy. Last time I was in PI saw this on a daily basis with a husband and wife team at Puerto Gallera.

There may be other factors here too - I've done this on a pre arranged basis with the DM - I was doing a drift dive through a pass and wanted to drop down quite deep to check out sleepy hammerheads on a single tank so as he was diving with bigger tanks he suggested dropping down, having a quick look then coming up to meet him (he stayed with the two other divers) and breathing some of his gas until we were out of the pass. Did so, everyone surfaced with 50 bar left. Obviously my deco was longer but the gas he shared allowed me time to fulfill deco obligation and still surface with the standard 50bar.

Would his 50 bar spare have been enough for you to ascend and deco on? Deco obligation and no rock bottom planning makes me cringe.

The DM had way more than 50 bar - sorry should have specified the other divers and I were back on the boat with the mandatory 50 bar. i didn't feel it necessary to check his gauge as we had worked out what we were doing prior to getting in the boat. One of the safest DMs in that region who is not above saying no, so I would not expect him to have not planned for contingencies. A couple of days later I got to see him deal with multiple rapidly unfolding incidents and have nothing but praise for the way he handled the incident.

Last edited:
1. Air sharing means end of the dive.
2. I would love to see bigger tank readily available from all dive operators.

The DM had way more than 50 bar - sorry should have specified the other divers and I were back on the boat with the mandatory 50 bar. i didn't feel it necessary to check his gauge as we had worked out what we were doing prior to getting in the boat. One of the safest DMs in that region who is not above saying no, so I would not expect him to have not planned for contingencies. A couple of days later I got to see him deal with multiple rapidly unfolding incidents and have nothing but praise for the way he handled the incident.
If you had 50 bar getting back on the boat what would you have had if his 1st stage died just before ascent? Not fighting just curious.

Had this happen on a dive in mexico. Were three + DM. Looked over and DM had one of the divers below him on an air share. Diver below him was just hanging there and probably using less air because he was relaxed. Dm gave us the ok signal. After about 10-15 minutes the diver went back on his own air. Dive went on for a while longer and then we made our assent. So the diver being helped was never dangeroulsy low on air. It was just the DM extending the dive.

Had the reverse happen once in Greece where I had hired a DM for a night dive from shore. On the way back she got real close and after a minute I realized she wanted my octo. So we air shared for about 10 minutes on the way back. She was not out of air but had both underestimated how long I could go on a tank and also grabbed a not quite full tank. Since there was no time we were both dangerously low on air there was not need to thumb the dive.

We Dove with a wonderful couple from Canada last October in Cozumel. She only wore scuba equipment for show because I'm pretty sure she had gills hidden somewhere. Her husband was a very experienced diver with above average air consumption. She dove with a 7 foot Octo hose and they would share air when he hit 1000 psi.

I have slightly higher air consumption so on one particular dive that started a little deeper for a little longer than usual, I had arranged to share air with the DM when I hit 1000 PSI as well. Being on the "hose of shame" has nothing to do with being OOA.....just extends the dive. With a dive op that surfaces as a group, this helps everyone enjoy a longer dive.

Once we go tot back, I ordered a 5 foot Octo hose for my wife. Most dives she has several hundred PSI more than I do. I have no problem sharing air to extend the dives. Hell, you paid for the air...might as well use it. It also avoids my worst fear of being "that guy" who cuts everyone else's dive short.

We're meeting them again in a few weeks. I'm sure I will be on the Hose at some point. It just works great for us guys who use more air.

Safe travels,
Jay

That sounds all right to me. It is something that is planned and executed carefully.
The original situation was somewhat different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom