Funny UEMIS experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverLaura

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The other day i was getting ready to go for a dive, and was going to let my buddy use the UEMIS... I turned it on, and nothing... I heard the beep... screen dark... So i quickly tucked it back in my pocket and went around the other side of the car to try turning it on and off and on and off a few times...

Still nothing on the screen... beep's there...

What to say... "so sorry, i must have left it at home..." was coming to mind...

since i had my head inside the car, and was no longer in the direct sun, i took off..

...my polarized sunglasses!

voila! screen all better :wink:

:lol:

I've seen polarized sunglasses do really strange things to screens. Glad the fix was easy for you!

:lol:

I've seen polarized sunglasses do really strange things to screens. Glad the fix was easy for you!

I did the same thing the first time I went to use mine. I turned it on, heard the beep but saw nothing. Panic mode set in quickly until I decided to take off the shades......:crafty:

Bahahaha :rofl3:

I did the exact same thing on Saturday - Nice sunny days so shades on and just about crapped myself when the screen was blank!!

Any idea what causes it? It's not a big deal, it's just that, "Why is it so?" is still my favourite question.

No idea but the common thing between us all is polarised sunglasses.

They are well known for doing weird things - take a look at an lcd screen with polarised sunnies on and see how it looks - downright scary as everything appears broken.

I figure its just the same kinda thing with an OLED screen

Yep, If I look at my flat screen desk top computer display through my polarised sunnies it's very odd. When I look through the same sunnies at my dive computers OLED screen however, I can see it perfectly.

The light from LCD screens is polarized. Sometimes we use one with polarized lenses as a quick and dirty check to see if material is crystalline or otherwise optically active.

Turn on an LCD monitor, facing up. Put on your shades. Rotateonitor till it goes dark. Then put something optically active (clear tape works) on the screen. You should see the tape even tough everything else is dark.

I do have my brightness turned down to 40% as well, not sure if that's a factor or not?

The light from LCD screens is polarized. Sometimes we use one with polarized lenses as a quick and dirty check to see if material is crystalline or otherwise optically active.

Turn on an LCD monitor, facing up. Put on your shades. Rotateonitor till it goes dark. Then put something optically active (clear tape works) on the screen. You should see the tape even tough everything else is dark.

Exactly wry, I'v done a bit of mineral identification using petrographic microscopes with crossed polars. But I don't think OLED's emit polarised light. Maybe the glass cover has a polarised layer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom