Further Training/C-Card Statistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, they don't. They only way they could have that information would be for all agencies to share data on all of the certifications. They aren't going to do that. I'd doubt I'd be the only one really ticked it they did. I doubt many agencies even know when they've issued another certification to the same person.

I'm quite sure that PADI and other agencies could give a good ballpark figure for % of divers going on to more advanced training such as AOW and Rescue, maybe even DM and instuctor. All of my training data is available to me through the PADI website.

Good diving, Craig

I have a good question. What percentage of new divers asked a question on Scuba Board about training and/or equipment and got ridiculed then gave up the sport?

I don't know of any, do you?

Probably another unaswerable question, but I've wondered how many OW certs never reach 25 dives? Some of the folks I know got certified for trips, dove there and haven't done it again (and yes we have offered). Any instructor/LDS types have even a gut feel for this?

I'm quite sure that PADI and other agencies could give a good ballpark figure for % of divers going on to more advanced training such as AOW and Rescue, maybe even DM and instuctor. All of my training data is available to me through the PADI website.

Good diving, Craig
You can also get regional statistics from your regional manager.

scubadada:
All of my training data is available to me through the PADI website.

That tells me you have only taken PADI courses. Others don't always follow that path.

For 2006, PADI Americas had 177k new certifications and 106k continuing education certifications. From these numbers we could conclude that 60% of new divers take at least one continuing education course. Somehow, I doubt that... I doubt that 60% of new divers even continue diving.

Your math is flawed here. 177k new certifications in 2006. 106k continuing ed certifications. That is 106k of the total certified member base, not of the 177k new certifications. All we could extrapolate from this is the % of the total certified member base pursued continuing education in 2006, and to do that we'd still need the number of active/certified members - which I didn't see immediately available.

Said differently - these numbers tell us nothing.

Some questions you are asking would need to be asked directly to divers at the pont of starting and finishing courses, in which you need to ask yourself

What percentage of people will actually fill in these feedback forms
Are they a good sample of the population or is it that usually only people who will carry on in diving will fill in such details
What percentage of people then stick to what they said on the form.

As a bad example i know i have never filled in and returned any questionnaires for my courses :-s

To use any of the data on the PADI site you would have to make the following assumptions
Ignore all certifications before the year 2000
As such you would get
3,859,000 Entry level certs
2,468,000 Continuing (Diver may have multiple certifications eg OWSI is infact counted as 4 in this number)

The only way beside asking PADI direct for exact numbers of all certifications issued (and that would be complex as entry level would be OW plus all Scuba divers who did not progress to OW, then how to include crossovers in numbers, ie i am OWSI in PADI but neve did rescue as i crossed over so only have 3 higher levels from PADI whereas most OWSI will have 4)
is to ask a PADI instructor to check on all his students! I have all the emails sent by PADI from my student certification and can check to see if they did any other courses.

I have a good question. What percentage of new divers asked a question on Scuba Board about training and/or equipment and got ridiculed then gave up the sport?

Gave up the sport or gave up Scubaboard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom