fused thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slater62586

Registered
Reaction score
I was in a motorcycle wreck back in june 05 and now we are thinking about fusing my foot....Meaning my foot will stay in one spot for the rest of my life...Does anyone think that will disable me from scuba diving...Btw I'm only !9 years old...

Are they thinking of fusing the bones in your foot so they don't move or fusing the ones in your ankle so your ankle won't flex and your foot will point forward in a fixed direction?

Not being able to move your foot could be problematic for scuba diving.

Are they doing this to speed recovery? Or are you having a lot of pain, and/or is there a lot of joint deterioration occurring?

Finally, who is paying the bill? Is an HMO involved or some one else's insurance company? Are there other treatment options? And have you gotten a second opinion?

Don't get in a hurry and never rush into a treatment of last resort until all the other less invasive and/or debilitaing options have been exhausted.

Always be willing to question your doctor and get details from him or her on various options. If he or she takes offense at you "challenging" his or her judgement, get a new doctor because it's your foot and your life - you want a doctor who is open to questions.

If the only limitations are caused by pain, and the pain is not due to new injury or damage occurring (in other words it hurts, but you are not getting hurt doing what ever causes the pain) then think twice about doing anything radical. In my professional experience clients who are only pain limited can still do anything they are motivated to do and the pain is not really a factor. They adjust to it or just ignore it and go on with life.

Also in my experience, heavy duty orthopedic procedures are not always effective and can leave a person just as bad off as before or worse and with less movement. So a second and even third opinion should be considered mandatory as is getting the facts on the percenages of success with that procedure, what constiutes "success" and the surgeon's own track record of success with that particular procedure. Skills and abilities vary and some docs are just plain better than others.

While I agree with DA that an immobile ankle could be problematic, it certainly shouldn’t bar you from scuba. Far from it. There are many divers with significantly more severe problems who dive regularly. It’s simply a matter of knowing your limitations and diving within them (as everybody should).

I’d guess you could adapt by modifying one of your fins.

I also agree with DA’s conservative approach to treatment, although I have no credentials (other than age/experience) to back up my opinion.

Best wishes on your recovery.

Thank yall for that information....I will find out soon actully next thursday the 12th what will happen but yall have a great day and thanks again

Back
Top Bottom