Fusion Question - not sure if mine is oversize or normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Molecule,

I've got 6 dives so far with the Fusion Tech skin. It's not bad indeed. Actually, it's a bit large for me (only the tech skin). I find the skin is a bit large. The arms and legs are a bit long but they are still find. Yet, the torso part is too much. Indeed, there is 100% functional and no dragging in water. Just if I get out of water and fill stuff in my pockets, it sags almsot to my knee same as the crotch. I need to pull it up quite often for the sake of appearance. Yet, once I put on the backplate and harness, this is no longer any problem.

I don't have a formal undergarment at all. I just do my own mix & match. I use a very low grade local brand fleece like material. I got a sweater and also a polyester Undie for my top. My botton part, another a polyester undie + a track-suit like pants. I feel good and not cold at all under 15-19 degree C water hre in Hong Kong.

Initial problem was some minor shoulder / arm bruising but that may due to insufficient inflation of the suit as I try to use only 10 lbs of weight. After I put more, I put more gas and the problem gone. Flexibility of the suit again is excellent like I wear 3mm in summer time.

I will keep on diving every 1-2 weeks time. Probably, may have more to share.

Carry93:
It would be interesting to see a User Review on Fusion Tech in Tropical Water. If you can put it some time when you have it tested. I travel back S.E. Asia every couple years.

Mike:
Thanks for posting the solution of this concern, and will keep this in mind. I have been searching this for the past couple days. Got mine from a LDS and the fit seemed to make the same way as Carry93's did. Mine is L/XL, I am 5'-10, 155#.

Actually, it's a bit large for me (only the tech skin). I find the skin is a bit large. The arms and legs are a bit long but they are still find. Yet, the torso part is too much. Indeed, there is 100% functional and no dragging in water. Just if I get out of water and fill stuff in my pockets, it sags almsot to my knee same as the crotch. I need to pull it up quite often for the sake of appearance. Yet, once I put on the backplate and harness, this is no longer any problem.

Hi carry93,

sorry for reviving this very old thread.

The fit of my new suit looks a lot like yours, and I am wondering whether you found it necessary to change the skin or could dive it with the L/XL. The pictures on the whites website are quite different...

Since this got revived:

It would be interesting to see a User Review on Fusion Tech in Tropical Water. If you can put it some time when you have it tested. I travel back S.E. Asia every couple years.

I spent ten days in the Red Sea, with water temperatures between 80 and 86, and I dove my Fusion Tech the whole time. In the warmer water, I wore just my set of Diving Concepts base layer, and in the cooler water, a set of Lands End Polarfleece sweats. I was very comfortable with both. I don't find excess fabric to be an issue -- it just crumples under the skin. And I really haven't had a lot of trouble with the pockets sagging, if the suit is zipped up; I dove the same suit for a week in MX in the caves (75 degree water) with pockets full of markers and spools, and didn't find the sagging on land to be annoying at all.

Hi carry93,

sorry for reviving this very old thread.

The fit of my new suit looks a lot like yours, and I am wondering whether you found it necessary to change the skin or could dive it with the L/XL. The pictures on the whites website are quite different...

Thanks for TSandM's info.

I'm still using my Fusion with tech skin(L/XL core with L/XL skin). Although I've got a new S/M bullet skin, but I've not used it yet. I find now especially water temp is getting low, like 15 degree C, I need to get a proper undergarment. In this case, the larger core and larger skin (L/XL) shows me the advantage. I don't feel it's too loose anymore. However, due to the flexibility of the outer skin, the sagging of pockets still exists. But it's just for appearance only.

You may keep on watching ebay or some US dive shops, they do have some special offers so you can go for changing your skin if you really dislikes the outlook especially the pocket issues.

By the way, I also managed to get a S/M size fusion to try on. Not sure if I get used to my L/XL, I find it's a bit tight for me. It should be good if I use a thin later of undergarment. However, if you use thicker one and dive in cold water, L/XL is indeed a wise choice! Just the length of sleeves and torso is a bit longer. you may send to some tailor to sew up a bit, I did that for my torso too.

However, if you use thicker one and dive in cold water, L/XL is indeed a wise choice! Just the length of sleeves and torso is a bit longer. you may send to some tailor to sew up a bit, I did that for my torso too.

Thanks carry93! Great idea about the tailor, that should be the least expensive way to change it. So far it works OK for me even with the slightly too large torso. It just does not look as slick as I had thought.

hi just wondering i'm 5' and wegh in at 165 .few years ago i bought a whites fusion .wondering if it's too small, it's size small .i have been trying mixing and matching undergarments at home ,but b/c i have never really tried this suit out im not sure how tight it's supposed to be .height is good, but it's hard to put on over 2 pairs long john's. of course this is only the second time i've had it on .i am going over to get checked at a dive shop to see about fit and cold water undergament, but i dont want them to say "sure it's too small let us sell you a new one " b/c i can't afford to start out haveing to buy a new drysuit on top of new undergarments right now,just b/c they are pushed to sell them at the shop. we dive it in very cold water here on pei. so a drysuit will be good choice for me. but i feel as though i;m wrestling a bear when i tried to get it on, i keep thinking maybe it's b/c their supposed to feel that way. all i'm use to wearing is a wetsuit. also this dry suit will have to have the neck and cuffs trimed back b/c they are too tight if i put my hood over the neck of my drysuit neck it be extremely too tight.

Hi Hummer,

the first few times it's hard to don, but it gets a lot easier when you used to it. The most important part is that you need to start with the inner layer, and work your way up gradually. Use a chair the first few times. Whites put out a video showing how to do it correctly: Donning the Fusion Drysuit - YouTube

Let somebody experienced (maybe at the shop?) help you with trimming back the seals if you feel unsure about it.

hummer, did you buy a new suit, or a used one? Is the dry core grey or black?

When the suits were first sold, the legs were cut fairly narrow, and it was hard for people with heavier legs (especially calves) to get them on, especially over bulky undergarments. They changed the cut with the new dry core, and made it easier, but the calves are still the limiting factor for shorter, heavier divers, IME.

But as already said, the trick to getting into a Fusion is to consider it a large, plastic pair of pantyhose. You have to bring the crotch up, and then put your legs in and pull on the dry core to work it up your legs. Then you pull the dry core up to your chest, and work the skin up, and finally you put on the arms. It is NOT the easiest suit in the world to don; that is not its strength. Fit and mobility, durability (you almost can't hurt these suits), and now the user-changeable seals, are the reasons to use the suit. The price you pay is a little grumbling as you suit up :)

hi TSamdM yes i bought it new. the inside is grey the outside is black with bright green design on shoulders. i looked, and saw it was size small. now i'am wondering if i'm not small enough for it! i can, get into it, im short so this is probably the closest suit length i'll get thats right for my height unless i get a suit made to fit.i'm so frustrated right now with everything . the studying is going fine but my plans to get the drysuit course is going to add more expence on top of the travel, undergarment ,and then the adv. course .oh well just seems a little overwelming right now ,one step forward one step back kind of thing!!

Back
Top Bottom