FYI: Anatomy of a Shark Bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
This Sunday, Aug 10, Anatomy of a Shark Bite will be aired on the Discovery Channel. It's a documentary on the attack on shark researcher Dr. Ritter in 2002. It made news in our board, Scuba Radio, and other scuba/science articles that I read. I'm looking forward to watching it.

I saw the ad for that, cant wait.
Is that a prelude to shark week?

Discovery is such a great channel.
Did you catch the show on the moon last night?

i can't wait either. some of my fondest diving memories are from a trip to walkers when we snorkeled with the bull sharks. at the time, this was still a top secret activity and others did not know about it. i remember how my buddy got in first and sat down on a rock in the shallows to don his fins totally unaware of a 6 foot shark swimming right up to him from behind to check him out. it was the most exciting snorkeling i ever did. we did not chum the sharks at the time but they were all over anyway.

Yep, just saw the commercial for that last night.

First thing that entered my mind was, "COOL! Gotta watch THAT!" second thing was, "Grrrr just more bad press for the Shark. Better go diving and see some cause there wont be any left soon to see.

TNT - THe Superstation is also playing this week an original movie (I read "Negative Shark Propaganda") called Red Water. Despite being upset over the negative subject matter Im probably going to catch that as well.

Spydertek

I've heard about Red Water. Is that on vieo now, or a tv exclusive? I too dislike the bad press that sharks attract, but still get a kick out of putting JAWS in the VCR during a dive trip.

I have dove with sharks numerous times and felt only a passing apprehension. I saw the promo and thought it pretty foolhardy to be wading in shallow water with sharks swimming about. All the stats say that is where you are most likely to get bit.

JustAddWater once bubbled...
I've heard about Red Water. Is that on vieo now, or a tv exclusive? I too dislike the bad press that sharks attract, but still get a kick out of putting JAWS in the VCR during a dive trip.
Next sunday at nine on TNT i think.

I thought they did a pretty good job recreating the sharks and the scenarios. I also believe they gave an honest portrayal without making sharks look like evil beasts out for human blood. They did mention a blurb about sharks helping to balance the oceans, but I wish they had gone into that a bit more. Maybe that's another documentary they should have during shark week. All I know is I personally have a true appreciation and respect for the shark population, and Jaws is still my favorite movie of all time!

XJae once bubbled...
I saw the ad for that, cant wait.
Is that a prelude to shark week?

Discovery is such a great channel.
Did you catch the show on the moon last night?

I watch SO little TV that it figures that Murphy would raise his ugly head and destroy my digital cable signal so that I can't see SHARK WEEK.......I am soooo frustrated!

I just sent this to the Discovery Channel:

I watched your "Anatomy of a Shark Bite" program last evening, and was appalled and shocked at how one-sided the show was.

The REAL barbarism and blood that your viewers need to see is that which HUMANS commit against sharks.

How about featuring a show on shark finning fisheries? About how many TENS OF THOUSANDS of sharks humans kill EVERY SINGLE DAY? About how many MILLIONS OF TONS of sharks we remove from the oceans every single year, despite knowing how slow some species breed and mature, and knowing almost NOTHING about the other species?

My opinion is this:

If you chum the water to bring in bull sharks, and then go wading with them for a publicity stunt, you damn well deserve whatever you get - no matter what the intention was.

It would have been refreshing to have heard Dr. Ritter even ONCE say something along the lines of "I was foolish - and I got bit. It was MY fault, NOT the shark's!"

There was no science to be learned from that small exploratory bite - just shock value.

Please educate your viewers about the plight of oceans and sharks - the scariest thing in the Oceans right now is the VAST EMPTINESS we have created!

How about a show on the Pew Report?????????

A frustrated, sad viewer,

-david evans

Back
Top Bottom