• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Yellow - Sharks - Octo and Octo Hose

Discussion in 'Dive Shows & Events' started by Jake 10, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:00 PM.

1. mcohen1021

mcohen1021 Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    If you're wearing yellow, please stay off my boat. :D :D :D

2. M-Cameron

M-Cameron Contributor

...how many shark attacks are there on divers in a given year....?

from what ive been able to find, its around 5/year
    Do Sharks Attack Divers? Facts and Figures - Dive Site Blog - Your Source of Everything Scuba

how many of those attacks can be attributed to the color yellow...hell, ill be generous and say 100% of them.

well according to DAN, there are 2.351 million divers in America alone who dive 1 to 7 times per year.

so in just America, you have at minimum 2.351 MILLION dives taking place.

so you have a less than 0.00021% chance of being attacked by a shark.

do we really need to change an entire industry of Dive equipment for something that is statistically NEVER going to happen to you?

Hoyden likes this.
  3. Hoyden

Hoyden ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I wear yellow fins pretty much every dive. I have many hundreds of dives with sharks. Our staff divers have many thousands of dives with sharks and every swinging one of them has a yellow hose and yellow faceplate on their octos. Surely if yellow was so attractive to sharks we would see many bites. Please do not expect scientific rigor from myth busters. Evidence suggests that many (if not most) sharks are color blind and rely on contrast instead. We actually have a few shark sticks woth yellow tape on them. They work just as well as the ones with ornage or black tape on them.

YMMV,

Jackie

4. Jake 10

Jake 10 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Bingo!
    I agree - you made a good point, and that was my thought to my original questions in OP, but still wanted to hear others opinions.