FYI: Anatomy of a Shark Bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyK once bubbled...
If I wrote the TV guide....

Sunday- Anatomy of a Shark Hype See us build a 20' mechanical Great White, and use it to explain a bite from a 7' Bull Shark. Don't miss a "mannequin chompin good time".

Monday- Monster Pontoon Boat We are giving away a $100 prize for the viewer who can explain how this pertains to sharks. There will be enough welding to satisfy the shark lover in all of us.

Coming tonight- We put a supermodel in an aquarium shark tank. Watch her defy death as vicious 3' nurse sharks close in from all sides.

I think I'll throw my videotape of Blue Planet, Seas of Life in tonight before I completely lose faith in marine documentaries

:rolleyes:

Very good Scotty! I too was appalled at the Monday night show, saw 5 minutes of Tues night - Scotty up that prize to $1,000 - no risk of losing any money - there was no relationship. After watching Tuesday night, I sent off an email to customer relations & rec'd the following:

We appreciate your email and for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with us in regard to Shark Week. We are very sorry our program upset you. We encourage feedback about our shows and will pass your comments on to our program management and executives. This will help them plan for future shows.

By their nature, documentaries express the view of the filmmaker and are their personal opinions. Our network intends to present viewers with a window to the world and to expose people to a wide variety of issues. We'd like our viewers to draw their own conclusions about what they see.

A reply to this message is not necessary. If you have any further
inquiries or comments, please contact us via our webform at
http://extweb.discovery.com/ViewerRelations. Thank you again for expressing your interest in our programming.

Sincerely,
Kari
Viewer Relations
Discovery Networks

LOL- I'm not usually that creative at 8AM.

Sounds like you got the typical, polite blow off from the Discovery Channel. I like how they wrapped it up with "a reply is not necessary". Need that translated???

I didn't even get through 5 minutes of last nights show (although it sounds like poor Cudabait suffered through the whole thing). I had seen him on TV before, assaulting both land and sea creatures, so decided to not even bother.

If he's doing hard science, then Springer is an anthropologist :rolleyes:

You know, when Monster Manny and co were swimming back to the boat, and the mako was stalking them, all I could think was WHO THE HECK WAS IN THE BOAT? And Why aren't they coming to get them. If I had any commen sense, and wanted to freedive with Mako's (I know, mutually exclusive, but pretend), I'd at least want to make sure that someone was in the boat and ALERT!

Manny's back?!! It's been awhile since I've seen him harass wild life. Was Megan (the free diver with big...errrr...strong lungs; she holds her breath for something like 5 or 20 minutes) accompanying Manny?

Yep,

She was there. Whoever was on the boat finally dragged her on board over the transom in what appeared to be a state of near panic. I guess they could have gotten her aboard faster if they had a tuna door in the transom.. Oh, well, ain't this great fun????

I'd just like to hear a good explanation for why after that guy got nailed by the bull shark and there was all that blood in the water that the bulls didn't go after him and rip him apart.

Anyone?

AD

That's a good question. However, maybe the fish were full. Remember, they had been feeding them for over an hour before the bull shark finally took the bait. Ever done any serious shark fishing? 1. Establish fine chum line, usually done by using a meat grinder to fine grind whatever to create initial long chum line. 2. Periodically began to pitch in small solids with the chum line. 3. Suspend very large baits on cable or wire leaders. 4. Catch shark. Ain't this fun??

Cuda,

Good thoughts, I didn't think they had been feeding them though, just put out a chum slick to attract them (?). Maybe I misunderstood that part.

Still, if nothing else, I figured the one that tried to have him for dinner would have come back.

Guess that's a question that they didn't think to investigate or didn't have a clue on.

AD

AD,

Yeah, they were feeding the sharks. It seems that everything came to a halt when the bull chomped down on his leg. The photo op probabaly became a rescue exercise and the filming stopped.

Back
Top Bottom