FYI : might be worth running down this topic /rumor if heading to Occidental soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Happened to see this Facebook discussion of people getting sick at Occidental on the Cozumel 4 You public forum. Just flagging to any that might be staying there soon as something you might want to run down to see how true it is. In general I have heard reasonably good things about Occidental over the years , please don’t take this post as a some sort of “stay away” post . Seemed important enough (if true) that I should probably mention it for interested parties to run down on their own.

I don’t even have a Facebook account so I can’t really search their forum to get a better idea of how true it is (the replies in the thread seem to validate it and mention other posts that apparently say the same thing ). It could all be some upset people spreading coordinated BS on Facebook for all I know , but I would want to run it to ground if I were headed that way. They were talking about doctors and IV antibiotics and whatnot , if it is some sort of troll it seems to be a reasonably convincing troll.

Link keeps failing. Trying to repost link

[]

“https://m.facebook.com/groups/cozumel4yougroup/posts/5612005762165164/“

Just look under Cozumel 4 you public Facebook group.

Lots of food poisoning posts on the Fans of Occidental Cozumel FB group, too. Those friendships are dissolving. I learned long ago not to travel without a bottle of Pepto Bismol.

I have always felt the right to enter any kitchen, and the last time I did that at an AI, I discovered that they were not cooking onsite. They were trucking cooked food in from elsewhere. Food can be transported after cooking okay, I've eaten many great meals in the field during harvest, but I like to check kitchens.

Happened to see this Facebook discussion of people getting sick at Occidental on the Cozumel 4 You public forum. Just flagging to any that might be staying there soon as something you might want to run down to see how true it is. In general I have heard reasonably good things about Occidental over the years , please don’t take this post as a some sort of “stay away” post . Seemed important enough (if true) that I should probably mention it for interested parties to run down on their own.

I don’t even have a Facebook account so I can’t really search their forum to get a better idea of how true it is (the replies in the thread seem to validate it and mention other posts that apparently say the same thing ). It could all be some upset people spreading coordinated BS on Facebook for all I know , but I would want to run it to ground if I were headed that way. They were talking about doctors and IV antibiotics and whatnot , if it is some sort of troll it seems to be a reasonably convincing troll.

Link keeps failing. Trying to repost link

[]

“https://m.facebook.com/groups/cozumel4yougroup/posts/5612005762165164/“

Just look under Cozumel 4 you public Facebook group.
You'd find me at AI right after I lopped off an ear, but I'm always a little skeptical of a general, non specific review when they've been a member of a board for all of 23 days.

they've been a member of a board for all of 23 days.
Their first trip to the island. Probably the last as well.

Yea! Another thread bashing all AIs because we all know they are identical.
I assume that you were replying to my comment, although it's really impossible to tell without a quote.
I meant to say that an AI was not for me.
I certainly did not mean to suggest that an AI would be a poor choice for you or anyone else.
Out of curiosity, what did I say?

huh, I just stayed at the Allegro which is a sister property and right next door. I didn't hear any of the divers we picked up say anything about. The few I did talk to said they liked it better than the Allegro. I'm guessing that if they do ship in food the would both get them from the same place and I didn't hear anything in my stay there and I left on Tuesday.

The Occidental's kitchen suffered a gas explosion. One worker was killed in the blast. The kitchen is closed.

Lots of food poisoning posts on the Fans of Occidental Cozumel FB group, too. Those friendships are dissolving. I learned long ago not to travel without a bottle of Pepto Bismol.

I have always felt the right to enter any kitchen, and the last time I did that at an AI, I discovered that they were not cooking onsite. They were trucking cooked food in from elsewhere. Food can be transported after cooking okay, I've eaten many great meals in the field during harvest, but I like to check kitchens.
Carbon Monoxide is toxic, odorless, tasteless, and can be produced by any overheated compressor, but most fill stations don't test. You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.
Testing is safer...
😎 The agencies & DAN are doing little as exposure is bad for business and the industry. It gets boring checking tank after tank always getting zeroes until you get your first tank failure, then you view it all as worthwhile.

HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR TANKS FOR CARBON MONOXIDE? Thanks :)

Carbon Monoxide is toxic, odorless, tasteless, and can be produced by any overheated compressor, but most fill stations don't test. You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.
Testing is safer...
😎 The agencies & DAN are doing little as exposure is bad for business and the industry. It gets boring checking tank after tank always getting zeroes until you get your first tank failure, then you view it all as worthwhile.

HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR TANKS FOR CARBON MONOXIDE? Thanks :)
I was just about to post the exact same question!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom