G10 Shutter speed with slave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AdTravels

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all.... this may have been asked before, and yes I suppose I could search else where, but there seem to be a few g10 users here.
I've recently been using one of my DMTs g10 (canon housing) with a sealife sl96010 slave strobe. The stobe has no power output settings, so I guesed it would be a case of faster shutter speads with 80iso and small App settings to take care of over exposure o macro shots.... works fine for half a meter upwards distance. However, no matter what shutter spead I use it defaults to 1/500.. Is there a way to override this. Yes, I'm a boy and do not read instruction manuals. Actually the guy dosn't have it hear.
I'm thinking of getting one (with a better strobe) but would like to find out if this can be corrected.
Many thanks

Ad

Oh boy, I get to tell an Instructor how to DIR. OK, first, what mode are you shooting in? You "should" be in Manual, no reason to fear it. (Think, breathe, act...:eyebrow:) In M, the shutter speed can be set where you want, 1/1000th-1/4000th of a sec. can work fine, if the older flash doesn't have some weird peak output. (Some actually can't synch w/ full output at the highest shutter speeds but most do.) Go with the highest speed you can, no reason not to.

Ok, so you twist the top Mode dial to M and set shutter speeds by pressing in the Jump button, to the right, just above the 4-way buttons for flash, macro etc. (NOT the button above that on the very upper right corner on the back.) When you press it you'll see opposing green arrows over either the shutter speeds or aperture (or the center weighted etc.symbol). Just press & release the button and cycle through until you see the green lit arrows bracket the shutter speeds (to left at bottom of the screen). To change the speeds (or aperture, if you have that selected) hold the very top left button down (Shortcut button, located to left of the viewfinder). While holding it in, push down the Macro or Flash rocker buttons (Macro lowers, Flash raises). This will let you change the shutter speeds to where you want them. (The Canon case doesn't have a rotating Control Dial that makes this so simple on land.)

Since the flash has no output control, use the aperture selection to control exposure. Repeat the above process only leave the f/stops selected (green arrow brackets). Raise or lower them the same way you did shutter speeds. Higher f/stops=darker pictures etc. (sorry if you know this stuff, just being safe via redundancy!) I know, I know--it all sounds confusing but try it a few times above water, practice will help you establish good habits (sorry, can't resist!) All you really need to do is mess w/ aperture selection anyway, once you set up the shutter speeds--no need to change speeds UW, they really won't affect shots lit by your strobe. (Obviously a different story if you aren't using the external strobe or are far away from your subject.)

Trying to do any of this in Av or Tv mode or (gasp) Program is actually harder, since the camera isn't factoring in all the light the strobe will be dumping on the scene. (Probably why the speeds are defaulting to 1/500 on you.) If you could control the flash output (other than by changing distances) you could get away w/ the other modes but since you can't, stick w/ Manual. And yeah, a few G-10 users hangout here, so if you run into probs, give a yell back or see the link below if I've confused you or you want to look something up. Have fun--and don't hold your breath! // ww
Link to G-10 User Guide: http://http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0300001565/PSG10_CUG_EN.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried following the above link to the G10 user guide, as I also have questions about operating my new G10 camera, but it didn't take me anywhere useful. Is there a problem with this link, or is it just me?(Naw!:D) Woody

Last edited by a moderator:
And a darn good thing I didn't invent the internet. Ok, I tried using the link insertion and got the previous link, which I also find does NOT work. I do a copy and paste directly into my post and get this one below--and this one works. I swear it. Honest. Probably... // ww

Canon G-10 Users Guide PDF (for real):

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0300001565/psg10_CUG_EN.pdf

I tried following the above link to the G10 user guide, as I also have questions about operating my new G10 camera, but it didn't take me anywhere useful. Is there a problem with this link, or is it just me?(Naw!:D) Woody

He had a double http... I fixed it for him...works now.

Second one fixed also... it now works.. so we have three that work....

FYI, in general, changing your shutter speed will not affect your strobe power. Like you said, use a small ISO and a small aperture. However, having a faster shutter speed can have other benefits.

Shutter Speed and Underwater Photography|Underwater Photography Guide

Most modern strobes it will... one needs to test it...in the old days, strobes were very fast, so it made no difference.. now... at full output, they use time... so shutter speed does effect output, but so does aperture.. and the neutral density filter..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom