G12 accessories and questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jarady

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sorry guys, I realised g12 is a pretty old model, hopefully I can get some answers. Thanks!

I'm pretty interested upgrading my UW camera set, currently I have G12 and the Canon WP-DC34 housing. I dont find my photos that great compared to many and thought that having a strobe and perhaps lens would help me. I've done some research in the forum and on google, and this bundle sort of align to what has been suggested.

Canon G12 Camera, Canon WP-DC34 Housing, & Sea & Sea Strobe Package

• Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe
  • Ultralight camera tray
  • Backscatter Flex arm kit
  • XIT 404 Strobe Mount Kit
  • Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable

Do I need any changes? And should I get Dyron 67mm Adapter with Inon 165 Macro Lens/SharpEye Lens M67 and Fantasea BigEye Lens? Or just the adapter and macro lens since many in this forums says the canon housing is better suited for macro.

Oh should i use the underwater canon mode when taking pictures? And should I off the camera internal flash all the time unless for macro shots because the flash is pretty weak and tend tends to spoil my non0-macro shots? (sorry for the noob questions)

having strobes and any extra lens can help you get better pix. The more tools you have the better you would hope your pictures might turn out. But Really you have to figure out the type of photos you're going to take before you buy extra gear. And before you dive...or you'll be taking a lot of camera gear underwater with you. It's nice to have options when you're down there, but you're going to be spending more time swithcing gear around and messing with your camera than actually taking photos if you take so much down there with you. Figure out wide or marco before you head down.
And pretty much never use the underwater mode when shooting. (never use any of the automatic modes) It's like using a filter...it's made for a certain range and that's it. Learn how to set your WB and shoot in RAW, so you can adjust the WB after the dive when you have more time. And using the onboard flash should only be used for things very close and/or marco. (if you don't have strobe) You have to practise with it and learn how the flash works in different kinds of water.
Having more gear can help you take better pix, but if you don't know how it use it....it doesn't really matter and you will get the same results. It sounds like you need to spend more time with your camera and learning how to set it up, and practise shooting with different settings in different conditions. Then once you've outgrown your camera set up.....add to it, or get a new one. I shot A G11 for several years, so I know where you're at.

thanks daz,

so you wouldnt recommend using a red/pink lens filter as well?

thanks! does anyone know if I should get the Inon 165-67mm macro lens or Fantasea sharpeye lens? I'm not sure which one is better or the difference to begin with

no, filters are useless when you have the ability to adjust the WB to get true colors.

The Canon housings have a bad rep for flooding.... Actually saw one bite the dust a couple years ago in Bonaire. Fix housings are awesome, I have an Ikelite, it works well, but no TTL in manual mode.

color correction is pretty easy with white balance, shooting raw and simple post processing.

A macro lens will get you crisper images.

The Canon housings have a bad rep for flooding.... Actually saw one bite the dust a couple years ago in Bonaire. Fix housings are awesome, I have an Ikelite, it works well, but no TTL in manual mode.

color correction is pretty easy with white balance, shooting raw and simple post processing.

A macro lens will get you crisper images.

Thanks, I want one by FIX or Recsea, but its too expensive for me at the moment. I'll start with a YS-01 strobe and inon macro lens first. Any idea what is a good wide-lens for G12 with Canon housing?

The issue with the Canon housings is not only quality, but the less expensive housings like it have a square port. The only available W/A lens is the Fantasea Big Eye G-Series. It's a pretty so-so lens, really a wide angle "replacement" lens that gets you back to the 28mm that you had above water. It mounts with bungies onto the Canon case.

Corners are poor, and you have to be very careful about sun or strobe placement, or you'll get reflection in the shot. They have recently improved it with better coating though.

Just reading your post now. The G12 is a very capable camera. Strobes and technique is the key to better photos. Shooting in manual and RAW will help also. Please see my website UnderSeaVision. All of the photos were taken with a G12 in an Ikelite housing.

Back
Top Bottom