G16 housing/strobe questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

007wilk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some tough choices with very limited budget... Any thoughts on the following subjects would be appreciated. Please keep in mind I am nearly a beginner and do not plan to make UW phoptography a career :)

(1) How critically important is it to have a housing with access to all camera controls? The cheap Meikon housing, which I have researched extensively, seems decent enough quality wise, however, it does not have a turn knob for a front dial, which is used on G16 to set aperture. Setting it is still possible through a combination of two other buttons, however, from practical perspective I do not believe it will be easy under water, especially while wearing heavy gloves. Most of my diving will be cold water. Is it really that important to learn to shoot manual? Or can I can decent enough results in the Av mode and by using two user pre-set modes, say one for macro and one for wide angle (ship wrecks)

(2) How critically important is the ability to have the TTL control of the strobe? If it is, that would again limit my options for the housing and increases the cost of housing/strobe combo quite dramatically. I can get a cheap to moderately priced housing that only has a optical hookup and a manual control strobe, like the Intova S-2000 for as low as $500-800 in total. Switching to a system with TTL will add at least $600 to it. Is it really worth it?

1. You will need to shoot manual for best results and the front dial is essential. However in most situations the two custom settings mode can be used
2. For macro 100% TTL and almost 100% for close work. Wide angle you need to shoot in manual regardless.

The strobe you mention is cheap you should get as a minimum an inon S2000 or sea and sea YS01 to have a bit of light!

Is there a way to add TTL functionality to a housing not specifically designed for this purpose?

I got confused after looking a two versions of the Ikelite housing for this camera. One has a wired TTL connection. But I guess you can add optical TTL ot most cameras as long as the flash supports it...

it is easier to set the aperture with the wheel, but it's not that difficult to change using the buttons. it just take 2 hands (or 2 fingers really). just practice a little bit.

it is easier to set the aperture with the wheel, but it's not that difficult to change using the buttons. it just take 2 hands (or 2 fingers really). just practice a little bit.

May work with housing only but not with tray and strobe

I use the front dial a bit, but would disagree with interceptor on the G15 I'm getting great results using Program and Av modes not Manual, so it's not as needed, on the other hand, buying a cheaper housing, selling it and getting a better one because you find you want the access or the TTL wired strobes for instance, is more expensive than buying the better one to begin with.

I use the front dial a bit, but would disagree with interceptor on the G15 I'm getting great results using Program and Av modes not Manual, so it's not as needed
Even if I say so myself :D

TTL is useful mostly for macro on the other hand for macro you can get excellent results in optical TTL or even in manual. There is no added value spending money for the hot shoe version and buying an Ikelite strobe that will cost you near to $1,000 when you can spend less than half and get the same outcomes with optical.
Furthermore for macro where TTL is useful there is really no issue of battery consumption that is the benefit of a hot shoe

The hot shoe becomes important at wide angle for cameras that have no manual flash, but the canon do so even there the benefit of an hot shoe is next to nothing

I have a Sony RX100 that instead only has TTL flash and the hot shoe there has a clear advantage, but again for canons with R-M flash modes there is no benefit for a wired connection on a compact

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 11:06 PM ----------

May work with housing only but not with tray and strobe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom