G1X settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cumbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently bought a Canon PowerShot G1X (and WP-DC44 housing). Can anyone recommend settings for it (for C1 and C2)?

I previously had a G12 with two Dyron macro diopters. I will use them with this camera, too. Should I set the camera to macro or "normal" mode when using diopters? Any other recommendations (max. ISO etc..)?

EDIT: I'm using the camera with 2 x Inon D-2000 strobes.

I previously had a G12 with two Dyron macro diopters. I will use them with this camera, too. Should I set the camera to macro or "normal" mode when using diopters? Any other recommendations (max. ISO etc..)?

There is not a single answer to this question. Some cameras will want to work in normal mode some other will want macro. Easiest way is to try and see which of the two modes lets you focus at closer distance
My Canon S95 does not want macro mode with diopters, my Panasonic LX7 wants it with the same diopters on

Okay, I will have to try it out.

Any tips for C1 / C2 settings? On my G12, I used
- C1 for "wideangle" with Tv @ 1/125, ISO 100, flash on
- C2 for macro with Av @ f/8,0, ISO 80, flash on and appropriate zoom position for the diopters.

On P mode I had flash off, Tv mode at 1/60 and Av at f/4.5 (though I can't remember if Tv and Av would change after using C1 or C2).

I did not use Manual at all, because I found it hard to adjust. Too many pictures were "missed" by incorrect exposure.

The problem with using Av with macro is, that the macro pretty much always set the shutter at 1/60 which doesn't give perfectly sharp images for moving macro objects (anemone fish etc..)

Anyone? Or am I the only one using this camera..? :wink:

I have been using this camera for a while now, but my photography skills and knowledge are pretty crappy, but for a point and shoot person, with no strobes or anything, the camera is good enough for my needs.

The camera received a bad rap for its lack of macro and slow focus, which I admit, can be a little frustrating, but I like the camera and I like the quality of the images it produces. For a guy like you, with all the strobes and a proper understanding of photography than what I have, I'm sure you will get some great images from the G1 X.

Here are some underwater pictures and videos which I took with the G1 X....

Galapagos
http://www.warrenssite.com/Galapagos/Galapagos/17943285_qPTFzs#!i=1924655437&k=zp2fVxS

Egypt
http://www.warrenssite.com/Egypt/Deep-South-Red-Sea-November/26713142_4W8cBh#!i=2235388423&k=N5RfskH

Maldives
http://www.warrenssite.com/Maldives/Maldives-2012/22254057_J4GnHN#!i=1783418074&k=69g5D38

(Some of the macro and wide shots in the Egypt/Maldives pictures were taken with an S90, majority of the images were taken with the G1 X)

Back
Top Bottom