g7x vs mark ii - auto white balance??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lwang06

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am upgrading from my sealife micro and have a Sony nex7- but the housing and etc are out of my league as I still don't fully understand manual mode shooting etc. I was looking at the compacts and decided the canons might be a good choice. however my main question is how helpful is the auto white balance button ok the g7x. do you guys really think it makes a difference and is it a deal breaker that it's not on the mark ii? any feedback would be great as long as any reviews on housings would be appreciated!

After having 2 simple P&S cameras over the last 10 years, I upgraded to a G7X with Nauticam housing with vacuum check . Personally, I find the one button white balance quick and useful, stills and video. I carry a small white slate with me. I did not know the G7X II did not have this feature, I'm surprised. The housing is excellent
upload_2016-11-24_15-3-22.png

upload_2016-11-24_15-3-59.png

upload_2016-11-24_15-4-33.png

upload_2016-11-24_15-5-2.png

upload_2016-11-24_15-5-31.png

thanks for your response - others have mentioned they do most of their editing in lightroom so they don't use the auto white balance - but then again I don't want to spend a ton of time editing if I don't have too.

thanks for your response - others have mentioned they do most of their editing in lightroom so they don't use the auto white balance - but then again I don't want to spend a ton of time editing if I don't have too.
I'm not a serious photographer at all, just like to capture memories. Above are unedited :)

I always use manual white balance on my Canon, then a quick crop and enhance on my ipad , end up with great pictures. It takes less than no time.

I am a G7x owner but never used that button. I tend to use auto/manual white balance.
If you plan to use a strobe I dont think that would matter.

Also, just a little bit of Lightroom adjustment in your photos will take you a long way ... very few photos coming straight out of the camera are great.

The one button manual white balance on the G7X (not on the Mark II) is a fantastic tool, not only for photos, but more importantly for me, its use in video photography. I shoot RAW + JPEG and 1080/60 with ambient light. I process the RAW photos for white balance in post production, but the one button manual white balance also color corrects the JPEG and video as well, and I do not need to use filters for color enhancement. Using the very simple manual white balance function, I find my JPEGs are very close in color to my post production RAW photos. For me, the G7X's one button white balance feature was the deciding factor between buying the G7X or G7X II. I don't know what Canon was thinking by removing that feature from the Mark II.

thanks for your response- I think it might be a deciding factor for me too as I don't normally shoot in RAW so that's another thing I have to kind of learn. can I ask what your set up is- case- strobes etc?

The one button manual white balance on the G7X (not on the Mark II) is a fantastic tool, not only for photos, but more importantly for me, its use in video photography. I shoot RAW + JPEG and 1080/60 with ambient light. I process the RAW photos for white balance in post production, but the one button manual white balance also color corrects the JPEG and video as well, and I do not need to use filters for color enhancement. Using the very simple manual white balance function, I find my JPEGs are very close in color to my post production RAW photos. For me, the G7X's one button white balance feature was the deciding factor between buying the G7X or G7X II. I don't know what Canon was thinking by removing that feature from the Mark II.

Did you use that camera for your pics on your flickr album?? AMAZING!

thanks for your response- I think it might be a deciding factor for me too as I don't normally shoot in RAW so that's another thing I have to kind of learn. can I ask what your set up is- case- strobes etc?

I use a Fantasea housing, which I like a lot because it has a dual gasket and the buttons on the back are clearly marked, making it easier to use (in my opinion). I do not use strobes now, maybe someday, but not being a serious or dedicated photographer, I am not prepared to deal with the hassle, extra weight and size of the kit. RAW is easy to process, and you can correct a lot of amateur photographer errors relatively easily, and even if you don't do a great job in the post editing process, the photos will still likely look better than the scene you actually saw at depth. There are many programs available to process RAW, and many of them are free downloads. You can get a lot of helpful advice from some really good underwater photographers on SB. Just ask for help, and you will get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom