G9. Housing and Strobe recommendations?/

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapatton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, So I am going to order the new G9 probably next week. I am looking at options for the housing though.

I can either go with the DC21 Canon housing, or wait until October which is when Ikelite is expecting to release the G9 housing (corporate THINKS it will be released then).

If I go with the Ikelite housing, it seems like I should opt for the Ikelite Strobes (either DS-51 or DS-125) for compatabilitiy's sake. Not sure on whether to go with Manual Controlled or TTL sync cord though.

If I go with the Canon housing, it seems like I could opt for either Sea&Sea Strobes (probably YS110). I noticed this uses the fiber optic cable though (doesn't this negate the TTL option)? I know pricing is lower on the Sea&Sea option.

Or, with the Canon housing, I could go with Inon Strobes (D-2000). I have not researched them a lot, but it seems like they have a few good options on lenses and such add-ons to the housing. I know they have a good setup for some Canon housings, but it does not look like they ever created one for the G7 (DC11), so it makes me wonder if they will create one for the G9 (DC21). I called Inon in MN, but had to leave a message.

Are there any suggestions, thoughts, etc here?

scubapatton:
OK, So I am going to order the new G9 probably next week. I am looking at options for the housing though.

I can either go with the DC21 Canon housing, or wait until October which is when Ikelite is expecting to release the G9 housing (corporate THINKS it will be released then).

If I go with the Ikelite housing, it seems like I should opt for the Ikelite Strobes (either DS-51 or DS-125) for compatabilitiy's sake. Not sure on whether to go with Manual Controlled or TTL sync cord though.

If I go with the Canon housing, it seems like I could opt for either Sea&Sea Strobes (probably YS110). I noticed this uses the fiber optic cable though (doesn't this negate the TTL option)? I know pricing is lower on the Sea&Sea option.

Or, with the Canon housing, I could go with Inon Strobes (D-2000). I have not researched them a lot, but it seems like they have a few good options on lenses and such add-ons to the housing. I know they have a good setup for some Canon housings, but it does not look like they ever created one for the G7 (DC11), so it makes me wonder if they will create one for the G9 (DC21). I called Inon in MN, but had to leave a message.

Are there any suggestions, thoughts, etc here?

I've got the G7 with canon case and Inon z240 with Ultralight arms. Great compact strobe setup. The Inon case probably has a hot shoe link but I found with the flash turned down all the way on the camera there is plenty of battery life to take me through a couple of dives and still trigger the flash. Also the cost of the Inon case is prohibitive last I saw was $600 compared to canon at $168. You could always upgrade later after you get used to the camera and controlls.

I also got a couple of the Inon macro lenses but you have the jerry build a mount for it. I need to figure something better out before my next trip but of the few shots I used them on I think it's worth the trouble.

if the ikelight housing has a hot shoe connecter i would recommend getting it once it comes out in the mean time i would just spend the money one the canon housing that way you can get used to using the camera. i would recomened spending the extra money and getting the Ds-125s instead of the Ds-50 it is really night and day between the two strobes. if you had to choose between the ike housing with the ds-50 and the canon housing with ds-125 i would lean more towards the canon housing with ds-125. the ds 50 are about 1/3 the power of the Ds-125 and the ds125 also the ds-125 has a focus light and a more adjustable light out put. if the Ikelight housing has a TTl hot shoe conecter i would get the ikelight housing with Ds125s other wise there is no real big advantage to getting the ikelight housing.

a third option it sea and sea they have two new strobe the ys-110 and the ys-250. i like sea and sea strobes a lot. i recommend them more than ikelite strobes or Inon strobe. they see to have a little be wormer light than ether inon or ikelite. i would recommend these if you are just going to use the canon housing because they have Digital slave-ttl this works pretty well.

I've got the G7 with the Ike housing and DS-51. Am very happy with it, although will upgrade to the ds-125 sooner or later. The ttl option works well, and is def the better option for using a strobe with this camera.

Ditto, on the Ike housing. One of my buddies had the Canon housing for a G7 and it had a minor flood on like his third dive, but it was enough to wreck the camera. Fortunately Canon repaired it on warentee. But he has since got the Ike housing and is much happier. It is sturdier, contols work well and seals up good. A little bulkier, but not too bad.

Steve B

I too am thinking about picking up the new G9. Sounds like it's perfect for underwater. I currently shoot with an Olympus C8080 in an Ike housing with a DS-125 strobe. TTL through the hotshoe connection is really the best way to go. I also really like my DS-125 with 1 second recycle times. There aren't many out there that can do that !!!! Personally, I'm going to wait until the Ike housing comes out. They're well built and seem less prone to flooding.

I have had NO PROBLEM at all with my little powershot S230 camera and housing though. I have had this setup for probably 3 years and never an issue. I am angling toward the Ikelite though also based on some research on the Canon housing. Some controls of the camera (that Canon makes) are not accessible with the housing (that Canon makes).. go figure... The only 2 things that probably won't be accessed with the ikelite housing is the self-timer (whoopee) and the Continuous button.

I will probably wait until the Ikelite housing comes out. When I called Ikelite, the guy said the G9 housing was slated for Oct. When I asked how accurate the calendar was, he said pretty close.. implying end of Oct is a good expectation. I do not want to go buy the Canon housing just to replace it in a few weeks or even 2-3 months.

As for the strobe, if I am going with an Ikelite housing, it seems to make sense to stick with the same company on the strobe. As such, I guess I need to look at the DS51 vs DS125. Anyone have any insight on the Manual Controller option? Is it worth it? My understanding is that when you use the Manual Controller, it negates the TTL. Does it ALWAYS do that, or only when you employ the Manual option (or is it always employed?)

Also, does anyone with the G7 have an opinion on whether the wide-angle lens and optional flat port are useful? I know I would need the flat port if I want the WA lens, but I have heard the WA lens and port give the photos some vignetting that you have to zzom to account for.. if that is the case, does the zoom kill the WA bonus, or does it only impair it a little - not enough to offset NOT buying this upgrade?

Thanks!!!!!

If you're going with an Ike housing and strobe, there's no need for the manual controller. You'll be sync'd through the hotshoe and can go ttl. If you'd rather go with a manual exposure, you simply switch the strobe to manual and select the power (1/4, 1/2 etc.).

As for the choice between the DS-51 and DS-125. If you have the money, go with the DS-125. It's more powerful and has a 1 second recycle time !!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom