Gagging on mouthpiece during Pre- Breathe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I put a Seacure mouth piece on my PRISM's SDV. Much better that the original mouthpiece that came with it, in the way of jaw fatigue, but during the Pre-Breathe sequence, I tend to start gagging & wretching (never vomited), sometimes quite badly. During the dive the gagging does not seem to be much of a problem, just during the Pre- Breathe. I do have an ultra sensitive gag reflex. I have trimmed the Sea cure just about as much as I can & still have it be functional. My Open Circuit equipment I use a comfort bite (has a bridge that rests behind the teeth of the upper jaw) mouth piece & love it! But it seems not to have the "staying power" (wants to pull out of my mouth) of the Seacure, especially when I turn my head. Any ideas? suggestions? Anyone else have this issue? Thanks!:blinking:

I have the same issue withy rEvo mouthpiece, but my issues happen with the first couple of minutes on the dive. I've tried hydrating a little more before my dives with varying results.

We're sorry to hear that you had a problem. We do hear that, once in a great while, with people like you who have a very strong gag reflex and would like to see if we can help you solve the problem. Let's start with - where did you trim the mouthpiece? If you prefer, give us a call and we'll be happy to discuss it and try to help. SeaCure's # is 623-266-0642.

Kudos to Seacure for jumping in to help!

Just bought a SC mouthpiece for my wife. It took a couple trimmings to get it so she didn't gag...eventually we got and she enjoyed it on our recent trip to the Bay Islands.

Hopefully, they'll get a solution for you tstorm.

We're sorry to hear that you had a problem. We do hear that, once in a great while, with people like you who have a very strong gag reflex and would like to see if we can help you solve the problem. Let's start with - where did you trim the mouthpiece? If you prefer, give us a call and we'll be happy to discuss it and try to help. SeaCure's # is 623-266-0642.

Yes! Thank you for chiming in. I sent a message to you. In the interest for all those looking at the thread, The problem seems to be from the thickness of the inner wall of the bite tab pushing laterally against the lower back part of my tongue. I trimmed the mouthpiece back a bit shorter than the marked guide lines, but still have a problem with the gagging. I asked if there was a way to make these inner walls some thinner. I followed the directions & used my tongue to try to mold the inner wall thinner, but still seems too thick (to me at least).

I have been using a SeaCure mouthpiece for years without any problems, really helps reduce jaw fatigue and improves comfort. However, over the last few seasons it had started to get a little warn, so I purchased a replacement. After molding the new one and mounting it I started experiencing the same gag effect that you describe, and eventually just went back to my old original one. Curious as to why one would cause this problem and other would not, I noticed that I had apparently bitten down harder during the molding of the first original unit and also trimmed the tips more than on the new one. You might try remolding it with a firmer bite so your jaw is more closed, and also try trimming the ends back a bit.

Last edited:
I sure did like the idea of SeaCure but after a major hurl at 100' from the gag reflex, even trimming the thing back didn't help so my SeaCures and I parted our ways. They sure felt good, and it's great if they work for you.

I have been using a SeaCure mouthpiece for years without any problems, really helps reduce jaw fatigue and improves comfort. However, over the last few seasons it had started to get a little warn, so I purchased a replacement. After molding the new one and mounting it I started experiencing the same gag effect that you describe, and eventually just went back to my old original one. Curious as to why one would cause this problem and other would not, I noticed that I had apparently bitten down harder during the molding of the first original unit and also trimmed the tips more than on the new one. You might try remolding it with a firmer bite so your jaw is more closed, and also try trimming the ends back a bit.

Unfortunately, one size doesn't always fit all. I have always had a sensitive gag reflex, even at the dentist. I may try re boiling the mouthpiece & refitting it. So far my issue with the gagging is when I do the Pre- Breathe, not on the dive. Some of it may be from an awkward position during the pre- Breathe (sometimes I will do it while seated next to the unit, instead of being strapped in). I haven't yet been able to make a direct correlation.

I have the same problem. It is not only with a Seacure mouth piece but with any brand or style. Once I am in the water I dont have a problem.

When I do my prebreath i hold the mouth piece against my mouth but do not insert it. I just move the bite tabs to the side and dont seem to have the gag reflex kick in.

Russ

I've got a seacure sitting in the bottom of my spare parts bag unused for the same reason. Like others have said, it seems some can use 'em and some can't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom