Galapagos affected by warm water / El Nino?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there first week of Sept. - 12 whale sharks at Darwin / 1 at Wolf. Thousands of hammerheads...even more than normal. Surface temps were warm: 27 C / 80.6 F on the surface at both Darwin and Wolf. I was shocked to see so many hammerheads in the shallows at that temp, but there they were. Great week! El Nino expected to worsen by end of the year, but for now, all is good.

The scientists from the Galapagos Whale Shark project were at Darwin. I invited them over to let us know what they were up to. Jonathan Green and Alex Hearn came onboard. It was quite interesting to learn even more about their project. It has always been amazing to me that no one has ever seen whale sharks breed or birth. Tracking from 2011-2012 was the first time anyone knew where they went. Theories they now have are even more interesting...wobbegong relatives who possibly calve in very deep waters. No one knows yet why the pregnant females always come to Darwin. Around 99% of the whale sharks at Darwin are pregnant females. We had one juvenile male. Made me realize the only males I have seen at Darwin are juveniles.

If you are going up and see their little boat, invite them onboard. They will be more than happy to give a presentation. Help with identification of whale sharks can also be done, with your photos, by sending your shots to the whale shark tracking project.

Last edited:
Any updates about current conditions. We are on the Galapagos Sky on October 18th. If its warmer than usual I may just bring a 5mm WS.

Thanks,

Update. Just got off Galápagos Sky. Water temp pretty warm. 26c at wolf and Darwin. 20-22c in other locations. Was comfortable in 7mm. Plus 3mm hood. Hope you have a great time.

Hey All,

I'm possibly going diving in Galapagos in February, 2016. Has anyone heard anything about the El Nino effecting diving at that time of year? Has anyone been diving there recently? Any information provided would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom