Galapagos conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTheGalapagos

Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got around to editing some photos and thought these capture the conditions people mention in Galapagos trip reports. When they speak about getting in and out of pangas (aka zodiacs or tenders) in chop and swells, this is what they're talking about:

darwinarch_chop.jpg

darwinarch.jpg

What months were these shots taken?
Is this typical irrespective of the time of year?
Thanks.

Photos were taken November 12, 2009. Water is typically more challenging during whale shark season...June - November and calmer December - May.

It is not as though these conditions are a given and certainly not true at many sites in the Galapagos. Even at Darwin, you may end up surfacing where this shot is taken, but you typically will enter from the opposite side where it is a bit calmer. But, yes, it is possible to have to enter the water in chop like this. Gordon Rocks often looks like this, too. Makes it pretty clear why some dive sites in the Galapagos are called "La Lavadora", the Washing Machine.

Again, I had just read so often people discussing the challenges of diving from a panga in the chop and swell that can exist that I thought this made a decent visual to illustrate what people are talking about.

We just came back (Dec 13-20th) - and the waters at Darwin had a few moments just like the pictures posted above - there were some tense moments for me. :) You can read all about the conditions of a place - but until you are actually in it..........now when we left Darwin..........water was as almost like a sheet of ice..............

Thank you! Gives me an idea of what we may be up against Aug./ Sept.

During that time (aug./ Sept.) what is the best type of exposure protection to wear? I had considered drysuit, because I hate fighting with wetsuits, but don't want to shred a good drysuit either.

Thank you! Gives me an idea of what we may be up against Aug./ Sept.

During that time (aug./ Sept.) what is the best type of exposure protection to wear? I had considered drysuit, because I hate fighting with wetsuits, but don't want to shred a good drysuit either.
Here's a shot from June '04 on a nasty day - you can see the diver wearing a drysuit:

ScubaBoard Gallery - 12706399412

The next photo is from August '07, with almost placid conditions.

ScubaBoard Gallery - 44027042712

Go figure. Personally I recall that the conditions were definitely more challenging in August and the water and air temps much cooler than June.

A trilam might be risky, neoprene or compressed neoprene is probably safer. I was fine diving wet both trips, but would have appreciated a drysuit on the August trip, especially in the southern islands where we saw temps in the 50s (water was 72 at Wolf and 74 at Darwin but it was still cold after repetitive diving and positively freezing on the days when it was rainy, overcast, and windy). In the northern islands it was hard to get cold underwater, especially when chasing down whale sharks on every dive, but the skiff rides back were shiver fests.

I'm the opposite as you, prefer diving wet so I don't have to fight with a drysuit. Just consider that for much of the dive at Wolf and Darwin, you'll be clutching onto barnacle infested sharp rocks, and if you take photos/video, that means you'll be clutching with your knees at least part of the time. I did a good job shredding my wetsuit and gloves might as well be thrown away after the trip - make sure you bring an extra pair! I used a 5mm FJ, no hood, and added hood and a 3mm shorty for the colder waters down south. Either way you dive, wet or dry, layering helps, though we had one nut (Joe!) aboard my last trip that was so cold he tried layering two 7mm suits and needed over 40lbs to sink :D

Go figure. Personally I recall that the conditions were definitely more challenging in August and the water and air temps much cooler than June.

A trilam might be risky, neoprene or compressed neoprene is probably safer. I was fine diving wet both trips, but would have appreciated a drysuit on the August trip, especially in the southern islands where we saw temps in the 50s (water was 72 at Wolf and 74 at Darwin but it was still cold after repetitive diving and positively freezing on the days when it was rainy, overcast, and windy). In the northern islands it was hard to get cold underwater, especially when chasing down whale sharks on every dive, but the skiff rides back were shiver fests.

I'm the opposite as you, prefer diving wet so I don't have to fight with a drysuit. Just consider that for much of the dive at Wolf and Darwin, you'll be clutching onto barnacle infested sharp rocks, and if you take photos/video, that means you'll be clutching with your knees at least part of the time. I did a good job shredding my wetsuit and gloves might as well be thrown away after the trip - make sure you bring an extra pair! I used a 5mm FJ, no hood, and added hood and a 3mm shorty for the colder waters down south. Either way you dive, wet or dry, layering helps, though we had one nut (Joe!) aboard my last trip that was so cold he tried layering two 7mm suits and needed over 40lbs to sink :D

Thank you very much for the input. All's I have right now are 2- trilam drysuits & 1- 3mm wetsuit. I guess may look into a semi- dry suit or a 7mm FJ. Problem is, I'm hard to fit (short & rather naturally positively buoyant:D). Looks like I'll have to whip out the ol' pocket book again. My LDS has chartered the Humbolt Explorer for Aug. 29th- Sept. 6th. Looks like it will be interesting diving,... to say the least!:eyebrow:

This past September (last week of the month), we had one diver onboard in a dry suit and one in a 5mm. Most diving in the Galapagos is 7mm wetsuit. Dive guides tend to prefer semi dry, but so many are so small. I started wearing gloves, but for protection, not warmth. I never wear a hood and the only time I have regretted that was November in Isabela at 4 Hermanos. We hit thermoclines in the low 50's that we weren't quickly swimming out of. Live-aboards don't go there. Hit some pretty cold thermoclines at Gordon Rocks in November, too. But the water is much warmer up north, though when you aren't chasing Mr. Big, you are motionless for the better part of 30 minutes at Darwin, so that can start to feel nippy. Pretty easy on the air consumption, though.

It is chillier out of the water than in the water up north. But that's why you have hot showers on the dive deck followed by hot towels and hot cocoa.

It is chillier out of the water than in the water up north. But that's why you have hot showers on the dive deck followed by hot towels and hot cocoa.
Hot lemon tea on the Sky Dancer kept us alive while huddling together waiting for one of the hot showers to open up. A great liveaboard would have one outdoor showerhead per passenger!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom