Galapagos - Ecuadorean Presidential Decree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Mossman for the lesson on Ocean ecology.

So, outside of the fact that Darwin is at risk, why just diving? Why not also start coming down on land tours immediately?

This is no longer a compaint against my trip being ruined. Quite frankly, if I get part or all of the money back, I have settled on the fact that I won't be going. And it seems that I would be more responsible for not going than I would be for going. If the ecology is in that much danger, and I have no doubt that it is, it seems that it would be irresponsible for anyone who is serious about maintaining the fragile ecology of the Galapagos to entertain even a land based trip as on land one can do as much damage as under water.

So the question that remains in my head now that we have the Darwin issue all sorted out. Aren't snorkelers and land based travel doing damage as well?

I was in Uluru, Australia ( Ayers Rock) and we were on a tour listening about the aboriginal customs, etc. It was requested that nothing, not even food items that can be considered degradable be thrown onto the ground ANYWHERE on the tour except for the trash cans on the bus. And don't you know that 2 people did just this act. They were trying to keep the indigenous animals from becoming dependant on food items that were not part of the normal diet.

Again I see an anomaly and I must ask why?

On the other hand, I am guessing that it is easier, at this time, to go after operators that are not operating within their allowable permits. And then phase out the permits that have already been handed out.

tiggerbella:
Thank you Mossman for the lesson on Ocean ecology.

So, outside of the fact that Darwin is at risk, why just diving? Why not also start coming down on land tours immediately?
You're welcome. Now here's a lesson in politics: you gotta start somewhere.

This is no longer a compaint against my trip being ruined. Quite frankly, if I get part or all of the money back, I have settled on the fact that I won't be going. And it seems that I would be more responsible for not going than I would be for going. If the ecology is in that much danger, and I have no doubt that it is, it seems that it would be irresponsible for anyone who is serious about maintaining the fragile ecology of the Galapagos to entertain even a land based trip as on land one can do as much damage as under water.
I agree. That's why I highly encourage anyone who wants to forego their trip to the Galapagos in favor of staying home and being ecologically sensible to do so; me, I'm gonna dive with the whale sharks until they ban diving with the whale sharks. Someone has to do it.

So the question that remains in my head now that we have the Darwin issue all sorted out. Aren't snorkelers and land based travel doing damage as well?
Heck, yeah. Didn't the last poster say he brushed against a penguin while snorkeling? That poor penguin will probably be eaten by its mother now that it smells like human flesh. Ban all the snorkelers too, after August 26.

I was in Uluru, Australia ( Ayers Rock) and we were on a tour listening about the aboriginal customs, etc. It was requested that nothing, not even food items that can be considered degradable be thrown onto the ground ANYWHERE on the tour except for the trash cans on the bus. And don't you know that 2 people did just this act. They were trying to keep the indigenous animals from becoming dependant on food items that were not part of the normal diet.

Again I see an anomaly and I must ask why?
I have no idea where you're going with your aboriginal story. Are you suggesting we ban Australians? I would support such a ban too, what with all the crocodiles they wrestle, stingrays they harrass, and God only knows what they do to the poor emus.

On the other hand, I am guessing that it is easier, at this time, to go after operators that are not operating within their allowable permits. And then phase out the permits that have already been handed out.
Or leave the existing permits in place, thereby limiting access to the sites and controlling capacity, and de facto granting the license holders a valuable monopoly on scuba trips.

I heard this from my LDS just now from Ken from Galapagos Adventures.

I just got word from Ecuador the apparently the president has agreed to
the moratorium on the ban on diving. On monday the minister of
environment will meet with the yacht owners and the GNP to give them the
disposition. We should know all the details and dates of this
moratorium by Monday afternoon.
Thanks for hanging in there !
Ken

I hope this is true - its been such a roller coaster, I think my hair is going to fall out. Its been good to talk to other people in my situation this past week - the support was really a benefit.

That said, this is what Mossman said on another board discussing this issue that I've been checking feverishly for information: http://groups.google.com/group/rec....30/8d8ed10b6afcc52b?q=galapagos&lnk=nl&hl=en&

Upon reading this lovely sentiment, we should all consider whether we want to engage him in a discussion and listen to his valuable "lessons."

WaterKtn:
That said, this is what Mossman said on another board discussing this issue that I've been checking feverishly for information: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.scuba.locations/browse_thread/thread/c6ebf1a7efbde730/8d8ed10b6afcc52b?q=galapagos&lnk=nl&hl=en&

Upon reading this lovely sentiment, we should all consider whether we want to engage him in a discussion and listen to his valuable "lessons."
That may or may not be the same Mossman. One never knows. Whoever he is, he makes some darn good points.

Which of his lovely sentiments are you referring to?

Mossman:
That may or may not be the same Mossman. One never knows. Whoever he is, he makes some darn good points.

Which of his lovely sentiments are you referring to?

I imagine this one, full of facts and lessons for us to all learn about the marine environment and diver's impacts:

In any case, if I do make it up there and the rest of the boats stay
canceled, I can't say I'll miss the 40 or so divers that would
otherwise be chasing down my whale shark.

WaterKtn:
I imagine this one, full of facts and lessons for us to all learn about the marine environment and diver's impacts:

In any case, if I do make it up there and the rest of the boats stay
canceled, I can't say I'll miss the 40 or so divers that would
otherwise be chasing down my whale shark.
Really? That's not the one I would have guessed you'd pick, had I been guessing.

What's wrong with it? Are you the sort that enjoys overcrowded dive sites?

Waterktn: Thanks for the information! I hope that the news turns out to be positive for DB and for Galapagos Adventures as well as everyone else.

The land based Australian tour, where was I going with this? Well, that even when you allow land based tours, people don't always follow your local rules/regulations which may or may not adversely affect the Eco system in a negative way. The impact of too many people ( Especially those that choose to ignore local rules and customes) anywhere whether on land,above or below the water can adversly affect the Eco system. But if you got out of that paragraph that I suggested banning aboriginals,, that's too bad. I would suggest banning the individuals who threw the apple cores into the bush.

Mossman: I hope that you continue to see your whale sharks throughout your life, wherever you choose to see them. And, might I suggest, a Seychelles live aboard during Whale Shark season. It was an awesome time and we saw a lot of whale sharks.

Looks like you'll have to find a new target for your sarcasm!

"I hope this is true - its been such a roller coaster, I think my hair is going to fall out. Its been good to talk to other people in my situation this past week - the support was really a benefit."

Yeah I share those same exact sentiments WatrKtn, I've gone from the depths of despair to great frustration and anger at this situation...

Today we are supposed to hear back definitively from Ken, so I'm trying to keep as upbeat and optimistic as possible...checking my email literally every 2 minutes!

If this is the case, i.e. Galapagos Explorer is not allowed to Wolf & Darwin then I assume even if the rest of us get to go on Deep Blue etc we will not be allowed to go there either.

The whole reason to go on a livebaoard is to go there. Putting it bluntly I was only going to Galpapagos so I could go there, the rest was a pleasant diversion on the way! Gutted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom