Galapagos in the last month?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike jj

owi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has any one been to Galapagos in the last few weeks. I know the water is a lot warmer than usual. I bought a 7mm just for this trip and I know I'm not taking it. I was thinking of taking my 5mm and vest, but now I am thinking of taking a 3mm and vest. I tend to stay pretty warm ( shorts and rash guard in 80 degree water). Do you think the 3mm and vest will be warm enough? I will have my hood. Also were the big animals deeper because of the water?

Thanks MIke

As of last week, temps were not really up. Also, if you are on a liveaboard that goes to Punta Vicente Roca or Cabo Douglas, water is colder year round out there and at this time of the year can be in the 50's. So you might reconsider. Though Darwin is always warmer water, you are stationary a lot of the dive which means you are not generating as much heat as you do in motion.

I was on the Galapagos Sky in mid-Jul with a brand new 7mm and a hood. From what the DM's said the water temp hadn't cooled off yet as of mid-July. The warmest dive was around 79F. I only used the hood a couple times and definitely would have preferred the flexibility of a 5mm with a vest. There were a couple colder dives that I was happy to be in the 7mm for, but I'm generally cold. I don't think anyone dove a 3mm on the boat so that might be a little thin even with a vest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom