Galapagos Island Hopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drvngcrzy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been researching the Galapagos and I am interested in doing one of the island hopping tours. Stay in a hotel on 2-4 different islands and get in a few dives. Has anybody done something like this and can recommend a tour company? Can you give an estimate for total cost?

I have looked at the following so far:
Academy Bay Diving
Scuba Iguana
Adventures within Reach
Red Mangrove

Someone mentioned sharksky adventures but their site has been suspended so that does not build confidence.

Any help would be great. Liveaboard I know is the best option but it is not an option for us.

Thanks!

Academy Bay and Scuba Iguana only dive Santa Cruz and Floreana. I would stick with one of them for diving from Santa Cruz. I'm sure either shop could arrange a hotel and even a speedboat ticket to another island. I do not recommend diving Isabela. There is only 1 operator permitted there and even dive guides I like on Isabela won't dive with him. Diving Floreana is still done from Santa Cruz. In San Cristobal, the only site I recommend is Kicker Rock (Leon Dormido) and the only operator I can recommend is Wreck Bay. Local dive operators have been limited to diving from 1 island since 2011, so no one can do island hopping the way we used to do it. Now you have to piece it together and the above operators are who we recommend.

Adventures within Reach are not dive operators...they would be sending you to local dive operators. Not sure of who Red Mangrove is using these days.

I'd recommend diving from Santa Cruz (which can include diving Floreana) and then heading over to Isabela for land visits.

Thanks for the info. I am surprised nobody else besides you and Doc (he sent a PM with info) had any input. Almost 700 views so this must be an interesting topic lol. Maybe the only diving experience anyone could offer was from a liveaboard.
`
Originally we were going to take a cruise in the Mediterranean and not do any diving but then I kept thinking that if I am going to spend $10k on a vacation I would prefer to get some cool diving in and where else should I go? I would love to dive with hammerheads. The wife will enjoy it but she will enjoy the topside stuff more. So, unless I switch jobs sometime soon I think this is what I am going to do in August/September.

sorry to jump in with my own question, but i'll be on Isabela In late Feb for 10 days. I was really hoping to split my time with diving and hikes. Seems hikes and the like are fine, but am I really that out of luck of diving options?? really? There's not one good company at all on Isabela?

Should I cancel my reservation and find another island???

Hi Patwa...Short answer...no there's not. Isabela is great for visiting, not diving. The 2 musts are Sierra Negra Volcano Trek and Los Tuneles. Los Tuneles is now a bit crowded with multiple daily tours. I am not a fan of that, however, you can often snorkel with mantas, see our giant Pacific seahorse wrapped around mangrove roots less than 2 ft below the surface, countless sea turtles, young eagle rays and then get really up close and personal with the largest white tipped reef sharks I've seen in Galapagos. That is better snorkeling than most places you would dive. Even shore snorkeling from Concha de Perla (end of dock as you enter) can be good. I've seen penguins and a turtle sitting back on his hind legs like a dog begging to give cleaner fish better access as the second pozo is a turtle cleaning station.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2016 at 10:37 PM ----------

Drvngcrzy: I appreciate Doc enormously and know he has had good diving and loves Scuba Iguana (so do I), but I don't think he's ever dived the north (Darwin & Wolf). There is no comparison it is so much better. So in my opinion, rarely does anyone making the trip to Galapagos want to limit diving to the central islands and for good reason. I remember the first time I gave a spot to a friend who had worked for years as a dive guide (at Scuba Iguana and then scientific diving for the Park), but had never been to the north. As soon as he had signal, he called me and just said "Oh my God!" First time I heard him speechless. He did not know diving the Galapagos could be that good. I used to operate island hopping programs, in fact pioneered it back in the day. But that was when we could use 1 boat and 1 great guide for the week and decide where we wanted to dive. No one goes to many of the sites we used to go. As of 2011, all land based dive permits began having to stick to a dedicated itinerary. It is tightly enforced. So I dived a lot in the central islands and yes, I have some amazing memories, but can honestly say, it does not compare to the north.

I've often said it's like comparing walking down Broadway in NYC at rush hour. You're going to see lots of people. If you go to the Middle of Nowhere in the midwest and walk downtown at rush hour, sure you'll see people, but not in the quantities you would see in NYC. Now apply that to marine life. That is my analogy of the difference diving in the north versus the central islands.

And I didn't even mention the western sites now on most itineraries...In Oct, we filmed 2 Orcas shredding a turtle at Cabo Douglas. 1 took it in its mouth and the other came over, like they were kissing, to grab the other half to shred it. After seeing penguins feeding in a school of black striped salemas. I haven't had the good fortune to be underwater at Punta Vicente Roca and have a flightless cormorant swim by me, but clients have. Punta Vicente Roca is a great site though, loads of diversity. I have had huge mola molas come check me out there.

And the above sites are only accessible from a liveaboard. Most divers know this which is why the demand for land based is so limited relative to liveaboards.

Thanks for the info. I am surprised nobody else besides you and Doc (he sent a PM with info) had any input. Almost 700 views so this must be an interesting topic lol. Maybe the only diving experience anyone could offer was from a liveaboard.
`
Originally we were going to take a cruise in the Mediterranean and not do any diving but then I kept thinking that if I am going to spend $10k on a vacation I would prefer to get some cool diving in and where else should I go? I would love to dive with hammerheads. The wife will enjoy it but she will enjoy the topside stuff more. So, unless I switch jobs sometime soon I think this is what I am going to do in August/September.

DiveTheGalapagos - Thanks again for your input. I know I will not get the best diving experience by avoiding the liveaboards. So, if I want to do a land based trip, check out a few islands and get a few days of diving in, what should I do? Do you have a suggestion as to how much time to spend on which island? How many dive days should I try to get in based on the time spent on the islands you suggest I go to? Should I do a few dives with SI or AB from Santa Cruz and then try to get some dives in with WB from San Cristobal? Or is it best to just dive with one for a few days then make it a land based tour and hit a couple islands for the topside attractions?

I think from what DiveTheGalapagos says the best diving is the north and you need to be on a liveaboard. So many people have looked at your thread but not posted as we do no have the answer to your question, unless we say go to Wolf and Darwin!

I am heading to Galapagos later in the year and only considered liveaboard. If I couldn't afford it then I wouldn't spend the time and money flying there, but I am traveling from Australia. We will use a 'lower cost' boat, I am keen on the diving and not too worried about luxury travel. We are using Astrea http://astreagalapagos.com/ this might meet your budget. We are doing a dive trip and naturalist trip on consecutive weeks.

I cant see how to edit my post...

Here is a link with indicative cost, https://www.galapagosislands.com/mi...a-diving/astrea-diving-prices-promotions.html
We managed to get a bit of discount :) For two from Australia, including flights, I think I could get the dive trip for around $10,000 US. May be able to then add some shore based activity pre/post the cruise.

I am not sure if your wife is a diver? If not then there may also be a discount on the cruise, put that to the shore based activity...

My wife is a diver but due to recently getting sick on some rough waves she does not want to spend a whole week on a boat (or even sleep on one). And she really wants to see the topside animals as well.

Originally we were going to take a cruise in the Mediterranean and not do any diving
Sorry I saw a boat as an option.

Maybe you are better of not go to Galapagos or if you do then just do the Naturalist things, these (as I understand) can include snorkelling.

Another great location (and I expect my 2017 trip) is Palau. http://www.palaudiveadventures.com/ Many options for shore based accommodation and great diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom