Galapagos land based dive op... San Cristobal island-- Are there any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCDinNC

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning to take part in a mission trip to San Cristobal island the end of Sep. I can go early or stay late for a few days to satisfy my diving addiction, and can't really see going to the Galapagos without getting wet, right?

I understand most of the diving in the Galapagos are live-aboard based. Does anyone know if there are dive ops on San Cristobal island that will take me out to dive? Does anyone have personal experience with any, and can recommend them, or vice versa? Or would my options be better from a different island? What are the travel options to get from one to the other?

Any help would be appreciated.

We'll try and get this moved to the general galapagos Forum, this "trips and marketplace" is for offerings of services

Try contacting Scuba Iguana, they are on Santa Cruz, but I believe that the owner is setting up operations on Cristobal. Mathias Espinosa is heavily involved as a Naturalist Guide for the Darwin Station and runs what I see as the best day dive op on Santa Cruz. He was featured in the IMAX 3d Movie by Al Giddings.

He is exporting the renewable resource of tourism to other islands by teaching local fishermen the real value of the animals!

Scuba Diving Galapagos Islands - Scuba Iguana ... Highly recommended.

Hi. I did see a few dive ops on San Cristobal, but can't say anymore than that about them. My guess would be that it wouldn' t be too hard to set something up. There were a lot of dive ops on Santa Cruz. I actually liked San Cristobal a little more--a lot less built up and cheaper than Santa Cruz, but the lodging options are definitely more limited and buget-level than on Santa Cruz.

Try Galakiwi in San Cristobal. They are the largest and most efficient(reliable ) of the operators in San Cristobal. I've never been diving with them but have heard their boats are better than the others.

Is there much difference in what you can see when you do a land-based vs a cruise? I'm considering land-based just because it's quite a bit cheaper than staying on a ship and I will be travelling for several months.

There is a lot of difference between the two - in price. If you are looking for land excursions you can see almost all the islands by being land based and taking day or overnight tours. This is the economical option and the one most people take. Lodging in the islands will run you anywhere from $10 - $500 per night. There are other options. I stayed with a family in Puerto Ayora, had a private room with bathroom and 3 meals a day for $100 per week. Its hard to do it cheaper as the food costs and restaurant costs are much higher than on the Mainland. If you want details I can try to get them for you.
The diving is another story. The liveaboards in 2009 will only be allowed to diving or land tours. the diving liveaboards are booked up very far in advance and most are now running close to $4000 per week. The diving in Darwin and Wolf is spectacular - hammerheads, whale sharks, etc. but it comes with a price. The diving around the central islands is a lot cheaper and is still good diving. You can see sea lions, hammerheads, schooling rays - devil rays and cowrays and much more. The land based diving will run you between $120-$150 per day, equipment included. that is generally a 2-tank dive.
Hope that helps

There is a lot of difference between the two - in price. If you are looking for land excursions you can see almost all the islands by being land based and taking day or overnight tours. This is the economical option and the one most people take. Lodging in the islands will run you anywhere from $10 - $500 per night. There are other options. I stayed with a family in Puerto Ayora, had a private room with bathroom and 3 meals a day for $100 per week. Its hard to do it cheaper as the food costs and restaurant costs are much higher than on the Mainland. If you want details I can try to get them for you.
The diving is another story. The liveaboards in 2009 will only be allowed to diving or land tours. the diving liveaboards are booked up very far in advance and most are now running close to $4000 per week. The diving in Darwin and Wolf is spectacular - hammerheads, whale sharks, etc. but it comes with a price. The diving around the central islands is a lot cheaper and is still good diving. You can see sea lions, hammerheads, schooling rays - devil rays and cowrays and much more. The land based diving will run you between $120-$150 per day, equipment included. that is generally a 2-tank dive.
Hope that helps

It does, thanks. I can't do live-aboard without cannibalizing the rest of my budget so I guess i'm going land-based (plus I want to do the land tours anyway). Do you know if you have to book dives well in advance with any particular land-based dive company? I'd hate to get there only to find out they were booked solid...

depends when you go, high season may make it harder to book on the day with the better dive operators.
but booking direct on the day will be much cheaper, it depends on how much time you allow yourself for the islands. i was their for four weeks and that was a rush at times

depends when you go, high season may make it harder to book on the day with the better dive operators.
but booking direct on the day will be much cheaper, it depends on how much time you allow yourself for the islands. i was their for four weeks and that was a rush at times

What was the approximate price differential?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom