• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Galapagos May 2014 video

Discussion in 'Underwater Videography' started by Interceptor121, May 29, 2014.

1. Interceptor121

Interceptor121 PADI Pro

Conditions were poor and water warm that meant hammerheads were in the blue

Regardless this was an amazing trip and this is the video related to the cruise on the Galapagos Sky

[youtubehq]Oac1AQ2j5kg[/youtubehq]

Shot with Sony RX100II

Also on vimeo (should be ready in 1 hour)

[vimeo]96857296[/vimeo]

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    stronj1, Randy g, paulw and 3 others like this.
  2. EL Pistoffo

EL Pistoffo Contributor

Wow, great video. You got to see a lot great stuff, even massive tortoises getting busy. So I guess that super WB card didn't ruin everything completely. Must have been a really nice trip.

3. Interceptor121

Interceptor121 PADI Pro

It has been a great trip though I would have liked to see some more hammers.

I used filter and auto white balance all along. I managed to use the lights on some barracudas but pretty much is all ambient light

Also this time I shot single frame rate at 25p and it looks better with the RX100

4. EL Pistoffo

EL Pistoffo Contributor

So you shot at 25fps. Was that for more light or you like the look better because it does look good? The colors look fantastic and you had it on AWB with the filter? Wow I wonder if I could do the same.

5. Interceptor121

Interceptor121 PADI Pro

Because I can't play 50 fps video and I down convert them I decided to shoot at 1/50th of a second in any mode
    Then I compared the 28 mbps 50 fps mode with the 24 mbps 25 fps mode and seen that the footage looks less scatty at 25 fps
    With the LX7 I think the 30 fps mode is at 20 mbps so I would not take that but with the Sony 24 mbps is quite strong
    I compared the GOP of the two modes on the Sony and there is not much in it so I think 25 fps gives better image quality (though in all sorts of tests I have done home I could not tell)
    Shooting 1/50 gives problems for the lack of ND filter but with the LX7 this is not an issue

6. EL Pistoffo

EL Pistoffo Contributor

I was referring to trying AWB with filter :D but your explanation of the bit-rates and frame-rates was insightful. I hadn't realized that the camera would cut the bit-rate along with frame-rate. I'm still stuck in GoPro land sometimes.
    So how much better do you like that Sony RX100II? The RXIII is around the corner.

7. Interceptor121

Interceptor121 PADI Pro

Sorry i said something incorrect the scatty feeling comes from the 1/100 shutter speed when you convert down to 25 fps. The rx100III has a 24-70 mm lens great for land and general use but not good for macro which was also weak with the previous version at 100mm. The new version has the ND filter it seems which is great news but I don't think I will upgrade am still making progress with the mark II. I took some decent pictures if you have had a look and am going on a phot workshop soon

8. EL Pistoffo

EL Pistoffo Contributor

The topside photos look very good. Were some of the UW photos done with ambient or video lights? They look pretty good to me.

9. J Easy

J Easy Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Nice shooting. The video looks great.

10. Interceptor121

Interceptor121 PADI Pro

Topside are for most nikon d7100 and the pano and some shots rx100
    Underwater we had a canon s95 with single strobe (you can see the set up looking at the lady in the video) and dual strobe for the rx100 (see pictures of the guy with a 'glider') in the s95 set that is me)
    No ambient of video light except silhouette and snell windows is all strobes

---------- Post added May 30th, 2014 at 01:27 PM ----------

For who is interested I put together a post with some of the specific of how I made this video

Galapagos: Sony RX100 Mark II Video | Interceptor121 Underwater Photo & Video Blog