Galapagos Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to go to Galapagos so I'm looking for some recommendations...

1) which liveaboard? Agressor? Peter Hughes?
2) what time of year is best? hope to see whale sharks...
3) do you still get to go on land, or is that no longer an option?

I know that this topic has been covered, but I'm just looking for up to date info..

Whale shark season is basically June through November. Apart from the Estrella del Mar, accommodations are going to be quite comparable. The Alta is the poshest and largest. You'll love the food on all the Galapagos live-aboards.

Right now, it seems as though 2010 permits are going to allow for itineraries to continue to include land visits as per 2009. Since PNG is beginning to regulate all naturalist cruises to a limit of visiting specific high traffic sites (like Bartolome) only once every two weeks and since that is supposed to be enforced beginning 2011, it seems like 2011 is going to be the year to watch in terms of land visit limitations.

Deep Blue and Sky Dancer have the most land visits, but Deep Blue has 8 dives at Darwin / 4 at Wolf whereas Sky Dancer does 6/6. Personally, Darwin beats Wolf hands down for me. This year, the Alta will also have 2 days at Darwin.

Rates for 2010 are $3795-$4995. See a Galapagos Live-Aboard Comparison Chart with links to full itineraries at the bottom of the chart. The new Humboldt Explorer (June 2010) will operate on the Estrella del Mar itinerary.

Last edited:
We just got back from a week on the Sky Dancer (Peter Hughes)
great trip - boat and crew were fab - our DM was also the naturalist for our land tours - which were still allowed on our trip - great talker and knew his stuff. We had 4-5 encounters with whale sharks even though we were "out of season". :) one was about a 50' female who was pregnant. Fabulous.

Spent a few days in Quito before boarding the boat - Stayed at the JW Marriott - nice hotel.

Galapagos is a great place - enjoy

My LDS is chartering the Humbolt Explorer in late Aug./ early Sept. I'm going & very much looking forward to it! It was such a popular destination that the boat was filled up in 1 day. Any suggestions, tips or pointers? What are the general conditions during that time? Thanks!

Who was your DM? How many hammerheads were you seeing at Darwin? How many Galapagos sharks at Wolf? How many mantas at Cabo Rosa? What was the viz like?

Sorry, but being the holidays, I'm 'on vacation' and always want to know how the diving was up there.

We just got back from a week on the Sky Dancer (Peter Hughes)
great trip - boat and crew were fab - our DM was also the naturalist for our land tours - which were still allowed on our trip - great talker and knew his stuff. We had 4-5 encounters with whale sharks even though we were "out of season". :) one was about a 50' female who was pregnant. Fabulous.

Spent a few days in Quito before boarding the boat - Stayed at the JW Marriott - nice hotel.

Galapagos is a great place - enjoy

it sounds like different boats spend different amounts of time at darwin and wolf. my understanding is that these are the best dive sites. how do i find out how much time will be spent at these spots? i think land excursions would be nice, but i don't wan to miss a lot of dives. which boats spend the most time in the water?

Who was your DM? How many hammerheads were you seeing at Darwin? How many Galapagos sharks at Wolf? How many mantas at Cabo Rosa? What was the viz like?

Sorry, but being the holidays, I'm 'on vacation' and always want to know how the diving was up there.

My D/M for most of the dives was Fabricio (sp?) There were many hammerheads - one dive had about 50 or so at Darwin - Galapagos sharks were in abundance at Wolf too - We did not do Cabo Rosa - and only saw a few mantas the entire trip. :( Saw lots of rays - cows, spotted, etc. The viz was fairly good on all dives except Seymour Island - it was yucky. The currents were ripping at Darwin - Fabricio said on one dive he'd give it "at least a 3 and a 1/2 knot" - I told him it was more like 12. :D

it sounds like different boats spend different amounts of time at darwin and wolf. my understanding is that these are the best dive sites. how do i find out how much time will be spent at these spots? i think land excursions would be nice, but i don't wan to miss a lot of dives. which boats spend the most time in the water?

I want to say between Wolf and Darwin we did 10 dives? I believe the boats have a schedule and can't stay longer than they are allowed. I know we had to be out of Darwin by 1 p.m. on the last day.

Galapagos is in my opinion the best dive spot in the world, it is nice to read that I am not the only freak here. I once did a "once in a life time" trip there, well it should have been, but I went back every year since! :)

In the Galapagos Live-Aboard Chart I linked above...it shows you exactly how many dives at Wolf, Darwin, how many land visits, cruising speed, length of boat, prices, etc. And there is a link at the bottom of boat column to see detailed itinerary of each. See it here.

(Sorry...meant to quote what you wrote: "it sounds like different boats spend different amounts of time at darwin and wolf. my understanding is that these are the best dive sites. how do i find out how much time will be spent at these spots? i think land excursions would be nice, but i don't wan to miss a lot of dives. which boats spend the most time in the water?"

Back
Top Bottom